Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tumbling blocks >

Tumbling blocks

Tumbling blocks

Old 06-21-2010, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by marygrether
I am a newbe here, and would like to find a pattern for tumbling blocks, now I don't know if there are a lot of them, but a basic would be great!
I also am a beginner at quilting,and any help from you all will be great. I have the material, but patterns are limited.
Mary
Try the "Search" feature just under the "r's" on the top line! There have been a lot of Tumbling Blocks topics - I know because I asked the same thing! Good luck!
Old 06-21-2010, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by Sadiemae
The Wondercut Triangle Ruler makes this quilt:

http://www.wondercutruler.com/022806.jpg

It isn't one I made, but it is beautiful.
OMG! Thanks! That's exactly the kind of one I want to do! Will try to find it on their site.

Oh-Oh, apologies. It looks as if this pattern has the seams down the center of the "top surface". I'd prefer the original with "Y" seams; but those are certainly lovely!
Old 06-21-2010, 04:02 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Kitsie
Originally Posted by Sadiemae
The Wondercut Triangle Ruler makes this quilt:

http://www.wondercutruler.com/022806.jpg

It isn't one I made, but it is beautiful.
OMG! Thanks! That's exactly the kind of one I want to do! Will try to find it on their site.

Oh-Oh, apologies. It looks as if this pattern has the seams down the center of the "top surface". I'd prefer the original with "Y" seams; but those are certainly lovely!
An intriguing quilt - notice that it uses various size pieces - maybe try that one as your "second" quilt.
Old 06-21-2010, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by marygrether
I am a newbe here, and would like to find a pattern for tumbling blocks, now I don't know if there are a lot of them, but a basic would be great!
I also am a beginner at quilting,and any help from you all will be great. I have the material, but patterns are limited.
Mary
I am a newbie too, for sure...so this may be incorrect...but my attempts at tumbling blocks consists entirely of 30/60 diamonds. Just consider "lighting" direction and keep those values in mind as you plan your three (light, med, dark) fabrics. Does that make sense? Unless you are doing those "hollow" ones, which totally baffle me! I'd look in Jenny Beyer's book....the one with 4000 blocks. It would make it more clear than me prattling on. I hope this helps. Those tumbling blocks make the cutest little baby boy quilts...three shades of blue. Lots of interesting viewing for little eyes as they develop.
Old 06-22-2010, 03:25 AM

Ok, everyone, it was a child's memory, so I will hold off on that, well I can at least look at the patterns.

So what would be the easiest for a beginner to do?

Plain block squares ? I did find something like that.

So would appreciate any help on that, and thanks beforehand,

which I will definately need help!
Old 06-22-2010, 03:31 AM

This looks about what I am looking for!
Old 06-22-2010, 03:39 AM

How about a Rail Fence quilt pattern, they are easy and look effective. If you google "free rail fence quilt patterns" or "free beginner quilt patterns" it comes up with so many wonderful patterns. Or use the search button here on the quilting board, just next to the logout button and try either rail fence or beginners quilt patterns and see what comes up. Also have a look at the tutorial section here on the board, so many wonderful members have put clear instructions on various patterns. The disappearing nine patch (D9P) is another great pattern that has a great tutorial. Just give someting a go and if you get stuck all you need to do is ask for help here.
Hope this has helped a bit :D
Old 06-22-2010, 04:04 AM

Try a simple 9 patch alternating with a solid square.
these look great and will give you a good start.
I think alot of people try quilting with a difficult pattern and then get discouraged and quit!
Once you get one project done it will encourage you to try other patterns.
If you need help PM me and I can email you a PDF file with the pattern.
Old 06-22-2010, 04:43 AM

Thanks ladies , they both look quite easy. I will try them out. and yes I am one of thoise that if its hard and complicated I will quit, that includes crocheting too.
Old 06-22-2010, 06:43 AM

Wow..what an undertaking if you are a new quilter. I am making a tumbling blocks and I am using the Marci Baker pattern for stipping it.