Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
It turns out I really LIKE cutting fabric >

It turns out I really LIKE cutting fabric

It turns out I really LIKE cutting fabric

Old 03-31-2014, 08:05 AM

I like cutting the strips and pieces needed for a quilt. I use my cutter for applique shapes.
Old 03-31-2014, 08:23 AM

I took two saw horses and a big slab of chip board and viola a lay out surface. Put some contact paper over it and it's slippery but not too much. Can be put away when not in use. My saw horses fold up and the chip board sits on the wall.
Old 03-31-2014, 10:34 AM

I too love the cutting process. At this time, I personally see no reason to invest in one of those fancy cutters. I'd rather spend my money on fabrics, and cut them with less waste.

I am lucky in that I have keys (or DH does) to the church and since it is only a block away, I sandwich all my quilts there on the tables. Most of the time I save my sandwiching when we have a "UFO" weekend and my friends will all help me sandwich and spray baste my quilts.

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!
Old 03-31-2014, 10:40 AM

I'll love the cutting process. I find it relaxing and a nice gentle start to a project and like you I like to use very morsel f my fabrics.
Old 03-31-2014, 10:41 AM

I enjoy the cutting also. And like you jcrow, I have some really pretty fabrics all cut out, and a ton of HST all sewn and have no idea what book it came from. Hopefully it's not one I got rid of in one of my cleaning out fazes! Oh well, some day I'll run across it....
Old 03-31-2014, 10:47 AM

Well that's wonderful that you find joy in that part of the process! Personally, it's not my favorite part of making the quilt. I really enjoy the designing, sewing, and FMQ. The rest is a necessary evil! I wish I could pay or bribe someone to do the cutting and sandwiching. I tried to get my DH to do it, but he wants no part of it!
Old 03-31-2014, 12:18 PM

I have a stack of Rubbermaid 16 qt containers that I use for "quilt kits". As soon as I have a pattern (usually my own design; or something I re-created on graph paper or in EQ7) it goes in there; as I accumulate fabric for that quilt it goes in there, as soon as I cut fabrics I label them with post-it notes as to what part they are and those go in there...if I buy special thread or a special ruler, that goes in there... Since I usually have at least a dozen quilts "in progress" to some degree or another it's just about the only way I can stay organized!!

Basting is the bane of my quilting life. I have no space, so I end up sliding all my furniture around and taping everything down to the living room floor. Which is horrible, I'm not as young as I used to be and neither are my knees!! I have a new technique I'm going to try on my next quilt, though, I saw it on a Leah Day Craftsy class; using folding tables and lengths of elastic. If that works, I will be SO HAPPY, but I have a King Size quilt that is next in line for quilting so that's going to be interesting; will have to do it in sections. I am TRYING to get in touch with a local guild, I need quilting buddies and access to large spaces and the guild has both of those things! But they won't answer my email and I'm a coward about just showing up unannounced. Silly, yes, but that's just how I am!!
Old 03-31-2014, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
I have been "sort of" interested in the Go! and similar cutters, because I love gadgets and I don't have them yet.

But yesterday I was cutting fabric for a couple new quilts and I realized that I actually really enjoy the cutting stage (as long as I'm not making mistakes!). I enjoy figuring out the geometry of each block and how to cut the fabric in the least wasteful way. I think there is something therapeutic about putting neat little stacks of perfectly sliced fabric together, counting them all up, and ticking them off of my cutting list. I feel like I've accomplished something by converting raw yardage into all these neat little bits and pieces. I get excited watching the stacks grow, because after cutting comes laying out the quilt, and that's a really fun step too. That's when I actually get to see if my color choices are going to work, and get a feel for how the finished quilt is going to be.

Now if only I could find a way to enjoy basting quilts, I'd be totally set!
Ditto! I,m pretty new in cutting but is really therapeutic, while deconstruct the stress decrease and l enjoy it. Me too love the gadgets and the Go! Is very attractive but..... the june taylor,s shape cut is fantastic! And really fast.
Old 03-31-2014, 01:55 PM

I use the shape cut rulers too, and you're 100% correct, I love those things!! I have several sizes but the one I use the MOST by far is the 2-1/2 strip cutter. I have been making my own "jelly rolls" and "layer cakes" with it and it's probably saved me hundreds of dollars compared to buying them pre-cut. Plus I can cut them from pre-washed fabric and not have any worries about shrinkage or bleeding. Bonus on top of bonus!
Old 04-01-2014, 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by luvstoquilt View Post
I am a member of a local "Bee" called "Kalico Kwilters" and I am positive it is one of a kind. It is so much fun and there are usually about 30 or more ladies on Wednesdays. We have 4 quilts being hand quilted at all times and another nice thing is we put together the tops, batting and back and baste for any of us that want to quilt at home. It is so much fun and there is just one firm rule...no one can talk bad about anyone. What a wonderful and delightful place. No wonder Wednesday is probably my favorite day!!!
Does your bee just do hand quilting? I live near yorkville, but not looking for just hand quilting.....