Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Tutorial on how to sew circles perfectly

EasyPeasy. The link was so very helpful!
    ~~ Butterflies can't see their wings.
    They can't see how truly beautiful they are,
    but everyone else can. People are kinda like that. ~~

Blog Entries
    coffee filters can be used

use a commercial tea maker filter, iron it and sew on it, rip the paper off and wa la you have a perfect cirlce

Here's my reply on another thread about sewing circles. I hope the picture of the quilt comes through.

Tate

Quote Originally Posted by tate_elliott View Post
    When I bought my Rocketeer, the first quilt I made was a mock cathedral quilt. The instructions said to cut my fabric into circles and sew them together. I thought, "To heck with trying to sew perfectly around circles! I'll sew them into circles first, then cut them." So I measured out onto my cabinet, put a sticker to mark the spot, and used masking tape to hold a thumb tack point-upward. I put squares on the tack, spun them to be sure all I had the fabric centered well, and hit the pedal. I just watched the stitches go in a perfect circle - over and over and over.

Oh, and I stuck a rubber eraser over the tack to keep the fabric in place while sewing.

Tate

Attachment 352207
    King of the Rocketeers!

Here's my reply on another thread about sewing circles. I hope the picture of the quilt comes through.

Tate
    Well, that is simply brilliant. Thank you!

I usually like Nancy's tutorials and hers was good, but just look at all the expensive equipment! This little tutorial is cheap and probably would work just as well.
    GramMER to 18 plus 2 great granddaughters!

Tate
    Oh, just look at the mock cathedral window, but the best part of the picture for me was the old Singer. It is one edition newer than mine. My Singer is almost 60 years old and has done a wonderful job for me!
    GramMER to 18 plus 2 great granddaughters!

Blog Entries
    I just looked at the video from "garysgal" and believe I'm going to invest in the "CIRCLE SEW SIMPLE" Why not make sewing as simple and easy as possible? The tack in the video has a safety cover for it.

Blog Entries
    Yes, you're right ghostrider, up thru the sticky side and FYI, I've done it with the thumbtack before and believe it or not, it works!! The biggest difference between this "homemade" tool and the $40-$80 ones is you have to fiddle with it more and measure from the needle etc to get an EXACT size on our circle. If you don't need it EXACT, then the tack works great.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2