Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Twelve Block of Month Blocks Finished >

Twelve Block of Month Blocks Finished

Twelve Block of Month Blocks Finished

Old 02-24-2015, 04:24 AM

You seem to have a lot of rust. Maybe strips of some color with rust corner stones.
Old 02-24-2015, 04:28 AM
Power Poster

I agree, very interesting different blocks. Since you have a design wall, I would start to try the suggestion already posted. I like the teal suggestion but not sure how that will look with the two blocks with a lot of background. I would first try making a shadow box like MSQC Illusion quilt. It might just bring the blocks together. Beautiful blocks. Good Luck.
Old 02-24-2015, 04:51 AM

I had a quilt like that with a lot of blocks in different colors. I put a "frame" around each block in a color that matched the block, then sashed it with white. My granddaughter said it looked like a quilt show, and it did.

You talked about applique. With all that white, some applique vines would tie it all together and be beautiful.
Old 02-24-2015, 05:45 AM

Honestly, I think the blocks are great! It looks like a couple of them already have a lot of white in the outer edges, so I don't think a white sashing would do it justice. But I think I would choose a color (from those used in the quilt) to make solid blocks between your pieced ones. If you put a pieced block inbetween, your original blocks may get "lost". Putting the blocks on point with alternating solid blocks as previously mentioned sounds good. I like the very pale "lilac" used in the very upper right corner block.....it is used in the quilt, but not much, so it will be a good background. This is all just my opinion, for whatever it's worth. I would take all the blocks with me to the store and lay them out on lots of different fabrics to see what catches your eye. You will know when you see the right one!
Old 02-24-2015, 05:55 AM

Does the QS have any suggestions...
Old 02-24-2015, 07:30 AM

I can appreciate just how much work and sewing skill these blocks required and understand why you might be cautious about how to proceed. Several threads have mentioned that two blocks, while well done, do not have the same visual impact as their neighbors. Perhaps something as simple as adding half square triangles, or some non-competitive element in their corners, might be a way of expanding their impact and make a layout less difficult? You have a vibrant color pallet in your blocks and I can see a bold use of these colors to complete this top. Because of the complexity of the blocks, I concur with a previous suggestion of using a fairly thin strip of what appears to be a gray ( bad color resolution on my computer) between the blocks ( a windowpane look) and then a triad of varying widths of your more bold and favorite colors as part of the border, then white again with a black binding or even a wild stripe with correlated colors? I am relatively new to quilting and do not have a full command of the correct terminology...but I hope you get my idea and it possibly helps.

Last edited by Basketman; 02-24-2015 at 07:33 AM.
Old 02-24-2015, 09:07 AM

I'm with k_jupiter, I think I would cut 1/5" sashing that finishes at 1" and set the blocks on point. You can pick colors from within the quilt for various width borders.
Old 02-24-2015, 10:42 AM

Question about upper left block - Hunters Star - it that the "Y" seam version or the HST version. I want to make a 2 color HS but am shying away from "Y" seams..... Did you have any trouble making it? BTW Your blocks are beautiful.. gonna be a real treasure !!
Old 02-24-2015, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by borntoquilt View Post
Question about upper left block - Hunters Star - it that the "Y" seam version or the HST version. I want to make a 2 color HS but am shying away from "Y" seams..... Did you have any trouble making it? BTW Your blocks are beautiful.. gonna be a real treasure !!
Luckily, this block was made with HST's. Two of the blocks were constructed with Y seams. After some practice, they became easier to make.
Old 02-25-2015, 07:13 AM

Is there a white border (or whatever that background color is) around each block? I can't quite tell on my computer. If so, I think I would trim it to maybe a finished width of about 3/4 in. (after seams are sewn), then pick two colors that you want to pull out from the blocks and make sashing and cornerstones from those 2 colors. Putting the blocks on point may add extra impact. I would just play around with them and see. If they don't have a white (background color) border, I would add a narrow one around each block, making an equal and neutral place to add the sashing. I, personally, would not alternate with solid blocks.