Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Twin size Coin Quilt w/ Charm Packs - how many? >

Twin size Coin Quilt w/ Charm Packs - how many?

Twin size Coin Quilt w/ Charm Packs - how many?

Old 11-08-2013, 06:17 PM

Default Twin size Coin Quilt w/ Charm Packs - how many?

Newbie quilter here! I have made one quilt, and next I want to make a stacked coin quilt in a twin size and was wondering how many charm packs you would use? I know a baby size would use 2. Maybe 4?

I am planning on using Joel dewberry's Aviary fabric. Would using Fat Quarters be better so I can cut the pieces a bit larger?

ETA: Oh! A Layer Cake might be the best!

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Sherry

Last edited by scbusf; 11-08-2013 at 06:25 PM.
Old 11-08-2013, 07:14 PM

Sometimes just writing our thoughts down helps doesn't it?
Old 11-08-2013, 07:29 PM
RST

Are you planning to use strips between your columns of coins? A border? Those factors will determine how many charm packs you need, for sure. There's also a lot of variation in what people think of as twin size -- some like a lot of overhang and enough length to fold over a pillow, and other approach the size more as just covering the top with a few inches over -- all a matter of preference. I'd suggest that you figure out how big you want the end quilt to be, then draw a little sketch including how wide your sashing columns are and any borders. I use regular old graph paper to help me draw a plan.

RSt
Old 11-09-2013, 03:22 AM

I'm working on a coin quilt too. Twin sized. I am using jelly rolls though. I started with four (there were only 20 strips per roll) and I'm probably going to buy four more to cut down on my border and sashing sizes.

One layer cake is four charm packs so i would start with that if you don't go jelly roll route.
Old 11-09-2013, 09:40 AM
Power Poster

I have never tried charm packets since in a previous life, I bought so much fabric!! That was WAY before all these pre cut fabrics were invented. But do a comparison. Certainly you would get 4 charms for every 10" square. You would only get 12 charms out of a Fat Quarter. I am hoping to be able to do the Falling Charm quilt that is posted often on this website.
Old 11-10-2013, 01:08 AM

I was planning a chinese coin quilt too. Queen size, I was going to use 6.5 x 18.5" "coins", and I make the quilts generously sized, probably 90-98 x 104". I haven't counted the number of coins needed yet, but I figured 3 columns of coins, and yardage between. It takes more yardage than you think, in my case 3 yards for 4 strips 10" wide. For the coins, I have enough stash to do them.

For a twin sized quilt, you'll need at least 3 yards as well, for the solid yardage between the coins, to get the length of the quilt you want. You'll probably want 2 -3 columns of coins, all showing on the top. You'll have to decide the width and length of each coin. It sounds as if you're going with 2.5" (finishing at 2"). You'll want a width that you can easily cut - you can count on strips being 40" WOF, so cutting them at 10" would be good, and that way you can use layer cakes if you find some that you like. You'll probably want the quilt to be at least 90" long, so you would need 45 "coins" per column. Remember that the width of a twin bed is 39", and you'll want the coins to all show on the top, I'd probably go with 2 columns of coins, that's 20" minus seams, plus yardage 10" wide in between, and you can get 2 columns of 15" or a little more wide out of 3 yards of fabric, so the quilt would be 20" + 10" + 30", or 60" wide minus seam allowances. This would give you about a 10" drop on each side. If you want more, it would require more fabric, either another column of coins or more yardage. For a 90" length of quilt, that would require 2.5 yards of fabric, not 3 yards.