Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Two batting questions >

Two batting questions

Two batting questions

Old 08-24-2014, 12:39 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
Line drying is somewhat misleading in that it includes laying quilts out flat to dry. <snip>
Really? Is that in the quilter's dictionary, LOL?
Old 08-24-2014, 05:01 PM
Power Poster

Am I wrong? It just seems that line drying these days essentially means not drying in a machine. If a tag specifies "dry flat", then you don't want to hang the item on a clothesline because the item is likely to distort from hanging. However, if a tag specifies "line dry", it doesn't mean the item cannot be laid out flat to dry. But perhaps I am missing something.
Old 08-24-2014, 06:48 PM

Quilter's Dream makes a Baby Quilt bat that is made entirely of naturally flame retardant fibers. No chemicals. You might want to try that for baby quilts. I am going to.
Old 08-24-2014, 08:55 PM

Joann's doesn't carry the Fat Batt in their stores, it has to be ordered online (I ordered a queen-size a few weeks ago, I want to try a QAYG strip comforter, at least that's been the idea, it'll probably drive me nutty on my small machine. lol).
Old 08-25-2014, 03:39 AM

Originally Posted by geevee View Post
Joann's doesn't carry the Fat Batt in their stores, it has to be ordered online (I ordered a queen-size a few weeks ago, I want to try a QAYG strip comforter, at least that's been the idea, it'll probably drive me nutty on my small machine. lol).
Geevee, I am using it for a QAYG baby quilt from an old Kaye Wood book. Is it the same one? It is fun to make. There is a pic of the baby quilt in my profile, I just can't remember how to put it into a post!
Old 08-25-2014, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by lorli View Post
Geevee, I am using it for a QAYG baby quilt from an old Kaye Wood book. Is it the same one? It is fun to make. There is a pic of the baby quilt in my profile, I just can't remember how to put it into a post!
Oh that's really cute Lorli, not the same one I'm going to try though, this is the one I'm going to attempt:http://acuppaandacatchup.com/2011/03...uilt-tutorial/ in blues, white on white and violet/lavender. This will be my first time using the Fat Batt, hope it'll stick well with the spray basting and not shift too much, as puffy as it is a wrinkle would be very un-lovely. lol
Old 08-26-2014, 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by lorli View Post
Is there an equivalent batting to the Fat Batt? The nearest Walmart. And Joann's are very far from here.
I use Fat Batts in some of the comforter quilts I make, I ordered on line and can't remember which site but I had just done a a search on google and found them. Sharon
Old 08-26-2014, 07:25 AM

As a longarm quilter, I won't use Mountain Mist batting - I have found them to be inconsistent in their quality with bare spots next to thick spots. It also tears very easily. Please read http://www.imqa.org/media/uploads/20...Fall2011_1.pdf as polyester batting should not be used for bedding for people who cannot get away from it should it catch on fire - babies and the elderly. I think there is a reason quilt shops don't sell Mountain Mist. I know that 100% cotton, wool and the QD Dream Angel (http://www.quiltersdreambatting.com/dream-angel.htm) are more expensive, but the cost of polyester batting melting on a baby would be horrific.
Old 08-27-2014, 02:57 AM

Geevee- that is so pretty, it's now on my list of quilts to try "when I have time".

Farm Quilter - thank you for the advice. I had been wondering why Mountain Mist is not sold in quilt shops! Is the Dream Angel high loft?

Thanks!
Old 08-27-2014, 04:26 AM

[QUOTE=Prism99;6857974]What would be the benefit of an alpaca/cotton blend? Unless there is some significant advantage over other batts, I would be leery of buying any wool batt that is not either Hobbs or Quilter's Dream -- which are manufactured specifically to not beard, shrink drastically, or distort with normal modern day washing methods. Before manufacturing of wool battings became more sophisticated, quilters had to completely encase a wool batt in cheesecloth before layering -- to retard bearding. There are still wool battings on the market that require this kind of treatment.]

Thank you Prism for this information. I had no idea.