Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Two-colour quilt? >

Two-colour quilt?

Two-colour quilt?

Old 04-02-2014, 04:45 AM

Default Two-colour quilt?

What pattern suggestions do people have for a quilt in 2 colours? I want to make a quilt for a room I've just redecorated, and to use a bright pink(haven't look for my fabric yet). Having considered lots of designs, I've concluded that trying to use several shades isn't going to work, because so many pinks are sugary, which I want to avoid. So I'm thinking the magenta/fuchsia/raspberry sort of pink and a neutral. I've made an Irish Chain and a Hunters Star in the past, so not those.
Old 04-02-2014, 04:50 AM
Power Poster

Burgoyne surrounded
Bento Box
Storm at Sea
Pineapple

Google images of 2 color quilts, you will get loads of inspiration.
Old 04-02-2014, 04:52 AM

I just made a herringbone quilt for my granddaughter and it is fantastic. She wanted pink and grey and many different fabrics from soft clear pink and dark grey to raspberry and a soft white/grey zebra fabric. She picked the colors and I was amazed at how beautiful the different ranges of colors just flowed together in that pattern.
Old 04-02-2014, 05:08 AM

I have been really liking the hounds tooth quilt pattern lately . Super easy pattern . There are patterns for sale but I also found some blogs with free tutorials .
Old 04-02-2014, 05:16 AM
Power Poster

How about Hole in the Barn Door? This is one I did a few years ago.
Attached Thumbnails starsinmybarn.jpg  
Old 04-02-2014, 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by annesthreads View Post
What pattern suggestions do people have for a quilt in 2 colours? I want to make a quilt for a room I've just redecorated, and to use a bright pink(haven't look for my fabric yet). Having considered lots of designs, I've concluded that trying to use several shades isn't going to work, because so many pinks are sugary, which I want to avoid. So I'm thinking the magenta/fuchsia/raspberry sort of pink and a neutral. I've made an Irish Chain and a Hunters Star in the past, so not those.

many, many blocks made up of HST and solid blocks look great in 2 colors. Browse traditional blocks and you are sure to find one you like. In case you dont-----------try Annie's Choice-------------my favor ite of course but it is prtty
Old 04-02-2014, 05:18 AM
Power Poster

Irish Chain was my first suggestions but you have done that. I did a two tone Burgoyne Surrounded for a client. Made up of a lot of simple blocks to make the larger design. Not too many quilts that look stunning with only two colors. Good Luck in making your choice !!
Old 04-02-2014, 05:28 AM

What if you use black as your 2nd color? you could use all the pinks you want and it would never look sugary sweet.
Hst's set in one of the thousands of settings, diamonds, chevrons, spirals, furrows and rows. The list is endless.

I have seen a 2 color disappearing 4 patch that was wonderful.

A google image search or pintrest image search will give you tons of ideas, what about going trough your patterns and looking at them a little differently, try coloring them on graph paper and see what you think.
Old 04-02-2014, 05:34 AM
Power Poster

Hunter's star
Old 04-02-2014, 05:36 AM

Maybe a quilt that combines pieced blocks with appliqué blocks.
This quilt is from the pattern "Gathered Memories" by Kim Diehl in a recent Fons and Porter's magazine. She used cheddar orange and white. I liked her version very much but didn't have enough "cheddar" and I am only working from my stash for the next few months.
I named my quilt "Greensboro."
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg