Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Two months to crank out ~10 gifts... ideas?! >

Two months to crank out ~10 gifts... ideas?!

Two months to crank out ~10 gifts... ideas?!

Old 11-03-2014, 02:48 PM

Question Two months to crank out ~10 gifts... ideas?!

I am trying to figure out what the heck to make for my family. Every year we get together for a dinner and swap gifts. We are a small group these days, I only need about 10 gifts if I do individual gifts... or 6 if I do married couples jointly. There is also one teenager and one 4.5 year old.

In the past, the types of gifts given have been things like home made treats, candles, goodie bags of candy, ornaments, and things of that nature. Last year I gave them all a drawstring bag with a Yankee candle in it. The only thing that varied was the fabric of the bag. For the teen I also gave her a gift card, and the then-3 year old just got toys. This year I have no idea what I want to do. I am looking for the right balance of cost, effort, and looking like I spent more time on it than I actually did. I have a toddler, so sewing time is limited!

Right now this ITH quilted stocking is my forerunner:
http://www.hoopsisters.com/santa-bab...ital-download/

Do you guys have any great ideas??? I am thinking maybe something in-the-hoop for simplicity, but I am also considering some easy mug rugs, coasters, or wall hangings. Or maybe something that I could make partially in the hoop (like appliqué) that is used in a wall hanging, coaster, table topper, etc... I don't know!

>>>What is the best bang-for-your-buck/time thing you guys have found that can be made en masse?
Old 11-03-2014, 02:59 PM

A mug rug with a new mug and either coffee, tea or hot choc packs and maybe a choc spoon (if applicable) would be really nice!
Old 11-03-2014, 03:05 PM

I'm making vests for almost everyone this year. Pillowcases (bed clothes type) are easy and quick to sew and you could put something inside like a goodie bag. For married couples you could make a matching pair of pillowcases.
Old 11-03-2014, 03:05 PM
Power Poster

you could make these for everyone and maybe put a gift card in it. http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...l-t253815.html
and you could make them for the guys, too
http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...s-t254103.html
Old 11-03-2014, 03:12 PM

I'll be making coaster sets with scraps. I make sets of four and a tray to keep them in. These are similar to the ones I make: http://quiltingintherain.blogspot.co...-coasters.html

For the child, maybe a fabric bag with a set of bean bags? I've found that kids from 1-5 enjoy those--the older ones can learn to juggle:-). For the teen, I just got a great book from the library on teen sewn gifts. Can't remember the title...Project Teen by Melissa Mortenson.

Have fun sewing!

(and yes, it's tough to get much done with a little one around--today's nap was spent tracing sewing patterns)
Old 11-03-2014, 03:29 PM
Power Poster

I am doing the panty purses for gift cards like QuiltnNan posted.
Old 11-03-2014, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by miss_sonja View Post
I'll be making coaster sets with scraps. I make sets of four and a tray to keep them in. These are similar to the ones I make: http://quiltingintherain.blogspot.co...-coasters.html
Love those coasters!
Old 11-03-2014, 06:42 PM
Banned

I'm doing sports themed microwave bowl holders, in the hoop coin purses and chap stick holders, and nesting quilted fabric boxes.

Cari
Old 11-03-2014, 07:43 PM

I think the pair of pillow cases for the married couples would be the most time/dollar effective. The teenager is always going to be a problem just because of his(?) age. But even there, a minecraft or Dr. Who or whatever the current favourite thing, could be done in a pillow case. The child would probably be the easiest. Last year, I found a 'stuff it yourself' teddy bear kit (they also had monkeys, dogs and cats) for $10. Would that be in your price range? The microwave bowl holders are also a great suggestion.

If you don't feel like sewing, it is easy to make a non sew throw or scarf using fleece. Then if you knit or crochet, there are those beautiful scarves from the fancy yarn.

If you make jam or salsa or any condiments, they are a great gift, especially for people who appreciate the effort but wouldn't do it themselves.

Just made a set of bean bags for my DGD's and they are thrilled. Also put in directions for a couple of games--target practice with decreasing sized containers and hopscotch (complete with a role of masking tape to make the grid indoors)

Last edited by GingerK; 11-03-2014 at 07:46 PM.
Old 11-03-2014, 08:04 PM

I do ten min table runners. They can be used on a dresser too.