Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Two more lessons learned >

Two more lessons learned

Two more lessons learned

Old 01-30-2010, 03:44 AM

1. When a container of pins spills for the 2nd time, retrieve a magnet from the fridge to aid in getting them picked up. Now that I've posted this hint--you can use it for the first spill.

2. When free motion quilting one part of a quilt, and then making the decision to stitch in the ditch for another part, DO change back to the regular foot. DO NOT attempt to fmq in the ditch. Sigh....that quilt will be for keeping, the other one will go up for sale.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Old 01-30-2010, 04:17 AM

Originally Posted by barnbum
1. When a container of pins spills for the 2nd time, retrieve a magnet from the fridge to aid in getting them picked up. Now that I've posted this hint--you can use it for the first spill.

2. When free motion quilting one part of a quilt, and then making the decision to stitch in the ditch for another part, DO change back to the regular foot. DO NOT attempt to fmq in the ditch. Sigh....that quilt will be for keeping, the other one will go up for sale.
AFTER container spills for the second time, MOVE it out of the way!! LOLOL

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll::XD: :XD: :thumbup:
Old 01-30-2010, 04:22 AM

Originally Posted by aliaslaceygreen

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll::XD: :XD: :thumbup:
Good advice :D :-D Have you all seen the wands with a magnet and a light on the end for finding pins? I use mine every day.
Old 01-30-2010, 04:44 AM

Great tips.
Old 01-30-2010, 05:26 AM

AFTER container spills for the second time, MOVE it out of the way!!
Oh, I had! I did! I still managed to tip it. Now I move it FARTHER! :|
Old 01-30-2010, 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by lisalovesquilting

Good advice :D :-D Have you all seen the wands with a magnet and a light on the end for finding pins? I use mine every day.
No! Where do you get them? My dining room floor where I quilt at is very light in color and my pins have a white top and it is so hard to see them!
Old 01-30-2010, 05:34 AM

Spilled pins? I use magnetic pin catchers, so if and when they hit the floor, they don't really spill all over the place. A few may scatter.

I have an old wooden yard stick with a magnet taped to one end. My aging fingers have trouble holding pins, so when they fall between my knees and onto the carpet at my feet. I grab the yard stick and let is pick up the stray pins so the aging knees do not need to get down to floor level. Make life easy for the whole "aging" body!

Tip on aging gracefully - sit still and let everyone else do the work! Magnets were made for this, right???

Now, can someone tell me how to keep the pins on the cutting table from getting under the fabric so I don't run over them with a brand new rotary cutter blade? Maybe I need to take a class in "clutter control"
Old 01-30-2010, 05:37 AM

Great tip.
Old 01-30-2010, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by samroberts01
Originally Posted by lisalovesquilting

No! Where do you get them? My dining room floor where I quilt at is very light in color and my pins have a white top and it is so hard to see them!
I got mine at my LQS. Tried a search but couldn't find it online. I don't know a brand name either.
Old 01-30-2010, 05:43 AM

Hmmm... I will have to keep my eye out for that.