Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Two Person Quilts and Entering Shows >

Two Person Quilts and Entering Shows

Two Person Quilts and Entering Shows

Old 06-21-2011, 06:20 AM
Banned

If you make the top and another does the quilting and when you enter in a show in your name, do you share the comments with the quilter.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:25 AM
MTS
Banned

Sure, why wouldn't you? Even as just a matter of courtesy.
You would tell them if you won a ribbon, wouldn't you?
So even if the comments ding the quilting, I'd pass it on.
Heck, you paid for it, you should let them know what the judges thought.

Mind you, some LA's have contracts where the fine print actually stipulates that you share the comments and if you win a ribbon, you must notify them in a timely manner.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:26 AM

Generally, you would share everything pertaining to that quilt with each other including ribbons. When I won, I had a ribbon made like mine and had a large picture of the quilt and presented that to my LAQ. She has it up in her studio. She won as much as I did.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:32 AM
Power Poster

some venues judge in the different categories of the quilt. a quilt may win for the LA or hand quilting. then the ribbon should go to the quilter. it is important to give the info on the piecer, the designer, and the quilter.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:39 AM
Power Poster

Great info
Old 06-21-2011, 06:40 AM

a customer of mine entered her quilt that i did the quilting on in a show and the quilting aspect won the ribbon.

not only did she share all the comments with me but she gave me the ribbon (she felt is was mine and not hers since my work won) and she gave me the prize she won too.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:53 AM
Banned

The reason for the question is that i see many quilts where it appears to me that one person made the quilt and another did the quilting. You begin to see a pattern in the quilting over many quilts. There is no mention of who did the quilting. The quilt has been entered under the one person category. But the fact you see the same pattern and quality of workmanship on many quilts, there is an assumption that two people actually worked on the quilt.
Mind you, we judge what we see and do not know the names of those who made the quilt. We only know the category the quilt is entered in.
I am wondering in these cases if the one entering shares the comments with the quilter especially if there are negative comments. I see many quilts of this suspicious type where if the quilting was better than the quilt might have received a higher rating or even a ribbon.
Old 06-21-2011, 07:02 AM
MTS
Banned

That seems more like it's the result of how the rules for THAT particular show were written.

Even for small guild shows, I'd be surprised if they didn't require the LA name to be listed. However, there might not be a separate category for Duo quilts.

But if the quilting you're referring to is an all-over pattern, on quilt after quilt after quilt, like a panto, it could be the LA's in that area do that sort of work. Or it could be a the result of budget constraints - quilter needs it quilted by LA, but can't/doesn't want to spring for more creative, free-motion quilting.

If I think back to when I first started (11-12 years ago), if you looked at all the quilts in my little bee group, we all had the Oriental Illusions as the panto, done by the same LA quilter.

This was a decade ago, and we were ALL on a learning curve, including the LA. Now, we all have our quilts custom/creatively quilted.

Maybe it's the same for the ones you saw. Newer quilters who might not be aware of the possibilities available.
Old 06-22-2011, 04:17 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Holice
The reason for the question is that i see many quilts where it appears to me that one person made the quilt and another did the quilting. You begin to see a pattern in the quilting over many quilts. There is no mention of who did the quilting. The quilt has been entered under the one person category. But the fact you see the same pattern and quality of workmanship on many quilts, there is an assumption that two people actually worked on the quilt.
Mind you, we judge what we see and do not know the names of those who made the quilt. We only know the category the quilt is entered in.
I am wondering in these cases if the one entering shares the comments with the quilter especially if there are negative comments. I see many quilts of this suspicious type where if the quilting was better than the quilt might have received a higher rating or even a ribbon.
If you are the judge, then you need to have this as a discussion with any other judges involved, and those organizing the competition. Are you clear in the rules as to how the entries need to be declared? and before you challenge someone on the question, you need to be very certain of your facts. Remember more than one LAQ can have the same panto and potentially the same skill level!

It's a difficult situation to be in ... though I can understand your concerns.

And ... perhaps, are you stepping too far into the land of assumptions? (whether the judge, or observer at the show) It's a dangerous path to go down.