Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Two steps forward, one step back... >

Two steps forward, one step back...

Two steps forward, one step back...

Old 12-23-2011, 06:04 AM

Red face Two steps forward, one step back...

I've been making quilts for about 10 years. Nothing that would win awards, but I love doing it. Last February I took the plunge and bought a Janome Horizon so I could really work on my FMQ skills. I practiced and played and made 3-4 quilts over the summer and fall, and was really rather pleased with how my FMQ was progressing. In November we had several things going on and I was away from the machine. Same for most of December, until yesterday. I hadn't touched the machine in about a month and a half. Yesterday I had a little free time and decided to sit down and work on a very small wall hanging that I had pieced and layered, ready for FMQing. Got everything all set up, started, and.....WOW, it was like starting all over again!! My skills had deteriorated a LOT in those 6-7 weeks of not doing any FMQing! I stopped after about 10 minutes, and am going to take out what I did and practice before I restart it! Lesson learned: Make a little bit of time, at least, to just play and practice every few days if you don't want to go backwards...use it lose it is true for me in the case of FMQing!
Old 12-23-2011, 06:29 AM

They aren't kidding when they say use it or lose it. You'll be back on top of your game in no time ;-)
Old 12-23-2011, 07:01 AM

I have had the same experience, it is quite typical for me to go several months without even setting foot in my sewing room. It explains my utter lack of FMQ skills!
Old 12-23-2011, 07:06 AM

So funny. I had to look on here and read to see who was doing my dance...One step forward..two steps back. LOL
Of course it happens. I haven't been able to quilt for a few months, waiting on elbow replacement for my left arm. I can only imagine what it will feel like in a few more months. I won't be alone.....dancing on......♥♥
Old 12-23-2011, 07:16 AM

Unlike mastering the 1/4 inch seam or cutting strips with out the dreaded V , I really do think FMQ require more "maintinience" to keep the skills. I am with you , as I thought I was progressing ... didn't do any for a few months ...and the results looked like I had never done FMQ before. I suppose I should keep a practice sandwich ready and do a bit on it at least every week or more. It just seems like this skill is always just beyond my grasp.
Old 12-23-2011, 07:23 AM

You could have written about me!! I have not done any real quilting in several months (a bunch of piecing/sewing) and wow -- I tried to do some potholders and they were awful!! Will have to get more practice after the holidays.
Old 12-23-2011, 07:27 AM
Power Poster

It's not ideal but I put an old needle in my machine and leave it unthreaded. I also take out the bobbin. I put on my FMQ foot and set my machine for FMQ. Instead of a fabric sandwich, I use a sheet of paper to sew out my design, usually a large feather. It allows me to keep my speed and movement consistent and I can even check my stitch length by looking at the puncture marks. I also use it to practice some designs before I move to sample sandwiches.
Old 12-23-2011, 07:44 AM

Location: Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs, Duluth, St Paul, Soudan

That is a great way to practice. Just save an old needle and voila!
Old 12-23-2011, 01:41 PM

The other thing you can do is keep a log or journal of what you've done in your quilting. Like making your own written tutes with those extra added hints just for yourself. I do this a lot so when I do go back to something I have done before I can review it first. This has saved me a lot of time and effort.

ali
Old 12-23-2011, 02:11 PM

I agree with you that if you don't FMQ on a regular basis you lose the magic touch. The only thing I find is that it takes less time for me to regain the skill. I guess I am dragging up the memory from the dark recesses of my mind.