Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tying one on... >

Tying one on...

Tying one on...

Old 11-10-2010, 02:26 PM

With all of the machine and hand quilting being so popular these days, does anyone else strictly "tie" their quilts like I do? I've never learned to machine quilt, and quite frankly it isn't in my budget to send my quilts to someone to do it for me. I have on occasion, "stitched in the ditch" on wall-hangings, but find it difficult for me to do on bed quilts. Who shares the "traditional" tying with me?
Old 11-10-2010, 02:33 PM

I have done machine, hand and tied quilts. I never thought I would tie one, but I recieved a cooky string quilt made in the 50's and it was screaming for ties! It's our favorite quilt in the house. I look forward to doing some more.
Old 11-10-2010, 02:36 PM

I haven't tied a quilt yet (even the one I just finished which is double bed sized), but I think I might tie the one I'm about to start, because I think it "suits" the quilt. lol All of my quilting is straight stitch in the ditch or straight echo quilting, for now. I have a plan (and fabric) for one for my bed, that will be a king size, so I'm going to QAYG and try my hand at FMQ (after lots and lots of practice...anyone need a mug rug? lol)
Old 11-10-2010, 02:42 PM

I like doing both types of quilts when my last son was born I recieved one as a shower gift he loved playing with the yarn
he is now 15 and I have saved this quilt for his children to
use one day hopefully he'll have a boy since it is blue and white
Old 11-10-2010, 02:45 PM

My quilt shop was called TIED & TRUE QUILTING my mom only tied her quilts and my tops were just piled because I didn't want to TIE and didn't want to use my machine (all big Tops) Hubby said NO MORE MATERIAL to some get finished Got a used long arm started on my own tops upgraded machine in 2002 now do quilts for other people and Yes now I have more material then I can handle So I do Tie on occasion but think machine holds up better than tie or hand quilting. To each there own.
Old 11-10-2010, 02:48 PM

I belong to a group that makes quilts for charity (double/queen size) and we always tie them. It goes faster so we can turn out more quilts. And some quilts just beg to be tied - a scrappy patchwork or nine-patch looks great when you add some colorful ties.
Old 11-10-2010, 02:59 PM

I made a full size patchwork quilt with sashing, and I whip stitched everywhere the sashing crossed, so this is kind of like "tying". The back was fleece. After whipstitching, I went back and sewed a 1/4" pink satin ribbon, then tied it in a bow, sewed it down and fray-checked the ends. Eighty One of them. Eighty One. It bears repeating - I hope my niece appreciates it. It's a Princess quilt, and I know she will cherish it. But I agree - tying is much easier than quilting...and you don't have to deal with stuffing the huge size of it through your machine either!
Old 11-10-2010, 03:10 PM

I tie and hand quilt. I hope to someday get a machine capable of free motion quilting. Mine is pretty old, but she's a real workhorse...(and heavy as a mule) :o) Some quilts look just right tied and they are pretty quick.
Old 11-10-2010, 03:12 PM

I do a mixture, some are tied, some machine quilted and a special few are hand quilted. Although in my mind, I call a tied quilt a comforter.
Old 11-10-2010, 03:37 PM

I have been doing both. My friend only does Tie...and her Grandmother from Canada always did Tie. She like the look better. I like the look but I agree the machine quilting seems to last better. or maybe it just seems that way.