Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tying a quilt >

Tying a quilt

Tying a quilt

Old 03-20-2014, 06:03 AM

Default Tying a quilt

I have never used this technique and wondered it holds as well as SITD or hand quilting.
Also how far apart do you tie ? The video etc all put one tie in the centre of each block is this enough?

Thank you for all your help and advice.
Old 03-20-2014, 06:06 AM
Power Poster

again, tying is put as close together as any particular batting requires. perhaps it was enough for the quilt used in that video.
Old 03-20-2014, 06:07 AM

Your batting will help you decide....never farther apart than the suggested stitching distance....I use the 10" stitch distance W&N....so i usually tie about 5" apart just for safety sake. The one i have has been washed umpteen times and still is in fine shape.
Old 03-20-2014, 06:09 AM

My gran tied all of the quilts she's made and after decades of wear and tear they are still going strong! She would use scraps of yarn to make her ties.

My gran tied about 6" apart, and she didn't normally put the tie in the center of blocks like I see a lot of people doing; she would usually put it at an intersection in the blocks. The spacing is probably dictated mostly by your batting, though, and I think the placement is just a matter of personal preference.
Old 03-20-2014, 06:14 AM
Power Poster

There are videos on You Tube for tying quilts and as nativetexan stated a lot depends on the batting.
Old 03-20-2014, 06:19 AM

The batting will state how far apart the quilting should be, however, I prefer to tie much closer. It depends on the pattern. I have tied one inch hexagon quilt, and tied in each hexagon, making the ties approximately 1 inch apart. I let the pattern of the quilt top be my quide, but would never go more than a couple inches, regardless of the batting requirements. Just my personal preference.
Old 03-20-2014, 06:29 AM
amh

I haven't tied that many quilts, but when I do I tie them 5 to 8 inches apart (depending on the batting and the type of quilt block). Many of my friends have tied quilts but have not used the correct knot and it did not hold. The following link is the method that my mother showed me how to do, and that sucker does not come undone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeaIyAyg_cs

I usually do them with yarn, and I thread a darning needle (curved if you have one) with a long piece of yarn. I then make my stitch where I want the tie to go, then go on to the next one (leaving enough yarn to tie the previous one), and the next and the next. When you are ready to tie them just cut the yarn inbetween the spots and tie and trim.

Hope this helps.

amh
Old 03-20-2014, 07:33 AM

I've tied many a quilt but I really prefer tying them much closer than the "normal", I prefer tying about every 2", I use embroidery floss.
Old 03-20-2014, 07:49 AM

I usually go four inches apart. The quilts I tie are usually flannel front and back, and for many of them, I use eight inch blocks (finished) which I tie at the intersections and in the center. Otherwise, I do what seems to look best with the pattern (as long as it fits the batting requirements). I sometimes use yarn, sometimes crochet cotton (#3).
Old 03-20-2014, 07:59 AM

I send lots of tied comforters to refugee areas so I want them to hold up for washing. Therefore, I tie every 2 inches.