Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tying a Quilt >

Tying a Quilt

Tying a Quilt

Old 11-14-2010, 08:10 PM

I'm planning on making a scrappy old-fashioned quilt (made from miscellaneous charm packs) and would like to tie it rather than quilt. Is there any particular knot that is better (or worse) than some? How about yarn, floss, pearl cotton?
Thanks in advance! This board is such a wealth of information! :lol:
Old 11-14-2010, 08:12 PM
Power Poster

I have had great success with perle cotton. Haven't tied one in awhile but love them :)
I may tie my brother's b/c he sleeps with his big dog lol
Old 11-14-2010, 08:14 PM
Power Poster

I like pearl cotton too. Try and keep a little space between where you went down and came up again and also I go through twice and then do a double knot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeaIyAyg_cs

I go through twice though before tying
Old 11-14-2010, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by Annaquilts
I like pearl cotton too. Try and keep a little space between where you went down and came up again and also I go through twice and then do a double knot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeaIyAyg_cs

I go through twice though before tying
Thank you for the link to the tute! This will be the quilt after my next one (I have several lined up to make!!) and am really excited about tying one. I think pearl cotton will be what I use.
Old 11-15-2010, 09:24 AM
bj

I tie mine with embroidery floss and use a square knot.
Old 11-15-2010, 09:38 AM

When I was in the Oregon Coastal Quilters Guild in Newport, Oregon we tied our community quilts. We used crochet thread (easily found in garage sales and thrift stores) and used the surgeon's knot (stronger hold). Here is a UTube video showing how:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldyWE...eature=related
Old 11-15-2010, 10:31 AM

I gave up tying quilts when I discovered machine tacking. Just use the zig zag stitch set on the widest width , and zero for stitch lenght and stitch inplace several stitches. It goes much faster and no pulling a big needle through the fabrics. Because it goes so much faster I use more tacks than ties, not because I need to but because I can. I have used invisable thread on some quilts.
Old 11-15-2010, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by Lori S
I gave up tying quilts when I discovered machine tacking. Just use the zig zag stitch set on the widest width , and zero for stitch lenght and stitch inplace several stitches. It goes much faster and no pulling a big needle through the fabrics. Because it goes so much faster I use more tacks than ties, not because I need to but because I can. I have used invisable thread on some quilts.
Thanks for the additional idea. I normally FMQ my quilts on my home machine, but I really want to make a tied quilt. I may only ever make one, but I want to experience it!
Old 11-16-2010, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by Boscobd
Thanks for the additional idea. I normally FMQ my quilts on my home machine, but I really want to make a tied quilt. I may only ever make one, but I want to experience it!
Just wanted to give you a option .. you may find useful for a future quilt.
Old 11-16-2010, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by Boscobd
Sorry for the double post
Just wanted to give you a option .. you may find useful for a future quilt.