Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Tying a quilt - Using a curved needle - Hints?

My quilt group makes a lot of quilts for charity that we tie. I like to use a curved needle but some of the other ladies just can't get the hang of it. When I try to use a straight needle now, my stitches end up huge. We tie ours when they're laying out across three banquet tables (on risers to save our backs) so the quilt is not stretched taut like it would be in a hoop or frame and it gives (we tape or clamp the backing to the table but just baste the top and batting). Maybe that's why it's easier - I never tried it with a taut surface. I just grasp the needle somewhere in the curve and push like with a straight needle. I go left to right, but I'm left-handed.

It's all in the wrist. I put a long piece string or yarn on the neddle. Double. I go down then back up. much like hand quilting. I go about 4 inches and do it again. and do that till I run out of thread. I do this for a section of the quilt. Then cut and tie You have 4 strings at each. Easy peasy...clear as mud :wink:

quiltbug.com/Articles/tying-a-quilt.htm -

Thank you everyone! I appreciate your willingness to share the "secrets of the curved needle!" I have made 4 stitches this evening. Whoopee! Yep! Definitely going to have a "learning curve" here! I think my stitches are way too large. The knots are fine. I will persevere and will post a picture if and when I ever finish this project.
    Off I go!

Along this subject, how do you tie the threads so that the knot does not loosen after washing?

Banned
    i can't explain why but i use the curved needle and i love it

Quote Originally Posted by Pinkrose4664
    Along this subject, how do you tie the threads so that the knot does not loosen after washing?
    I use a square knot. Make sure it's really tight. I'll also tell whoever is getting it to check the knots every once in a while

Quote Originally Posted by Pinkrose4664
    check out this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeaIyAyg_cs

oh my gosh! I can acutally do that one!

Thanks ever so

Its like a regular knot but over twice two times :D

Yvonne. Surgeons do a really fine tie with the curved needle. They use a hemostat and tilt the needle up to puncture the fabric (skin) then immediately rockit back....then they tie it right over left then left over right. I seen several quilters do it this way. Hold the stat straight out in front of you and add the needle at rt a`rt angle.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2