Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
tying quilts >

tying quilts

tying quilts

Old 09-21-2011, 09:13 AM

The style of some quilts just looks better when they're tied instead of machine or hand quilted-- there is no shame in that and I'm sure your quilts are GORGEOUS!!

Take care,
Marcia
Old 09-21-2011, 09:25 AM
Power Poster

there is certainly nothing wrong with tied quilts! if that is how you want to finish them it is perfectly acceptable- as for learning to machine quilt your own- you need to practice- on small items (such as pot holders or placemats) and as you become more comfortable and happy with your quilting you can work up to larger projects after some practice you will find your self quilting quilts in no time. but tied are just fine too
Old 09-21-2011, 09:26 AM

I have done both on many quilts. If tying your quilts is what you car comfortable with then do it that way. You made them and the choice of finishing is yours too.
Old 09-21-2011, 09:27 AM

I have done a couple tyed myself. My mother use to do that a lot.
Old 09-21-2011, 09:28 AM

I have tied a lot of quilts and like the way they came out. Also, started with stitch in the ditch quilting and now branching out a bit. More than likely you have not "ruined" your 2 quilts. Just that since you are up close doing the quilting you are not as happy with the results as you thought you would be. It does take practice. My first stitch in the ditch was a baby "I Spy" using hexagons. In my opinion it was horrible, almost did not give it to the family, turned out it is his favorite blanket. I have found, washing the quilt also helps.

I have been to shows where I looked up close at their work and found not all of them are as perfect up close than at a distance of 6 feet.

Just do what you think looks best - we are in this for fun, and creative expression.
Old 09-21-2011, 09:30 AM

I've tied tons of my quilts. Nothing wrong with it. Just make sure you use a square knot and all is fine.
Old 09-21-2011, 09:35 AM

I don't do any hand sewing at all because it aggravates the nerves in my hands/arms. I machine stitch everything-even the binding front and back-and don't send quilts out. I haven't tried to tie a quilt yet because not sure how to do it but want to learn sometime. I've been looking at techniques that let you 'tie' it with your machine. You have to do what is comfortable for YOU!
Old 09-21-2011, 09:38 AM

Hand tie away!! It doesn't take anything away from the usability of the quilt.

I've tied a couple and used different color embroidery floss, perle cotton and yarns to get different effects.

Just be careful that your batting is suitable for tying.
Old 09-21-2011, 10:10 AM

I hand-quilted one quilt, it took me forever,. And that was before I had arthritis in my hands. I asked my daughter , when I was finished piecing her Grandmothers fan quilt, if she wanted it hand quilted or tied. She didn't care one bit how it was done, she just wanted the pretty quilt top. Since anymore quilts I make will be made for my children or grandchildren, I will be tying them. Making quits for show is nothing I care about doing. I used Perle cotton thread, tight square knots and about 3/4 inch tails.
Old 09-21-2011, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by mnmgirl
Good morning....... I just wanted to know something. I have seen some beautiful quilts here, and am put to shame. I am a recent quilter, but my hands will not let me hand sew my quilts. I have tried to machine sew and it has ruined two quilts. So, I ended up tying my quilts. I have 7 quilts that are tyed.,and they came out fine. I would like to know how yall feel about tying them. I just feel inadequate about sewing them and i can't afford to have them quilted. So please give me some feedback......I will post pics soon..
I used to hand quilt all my quilts. Loved doing it. Tried machine quilting, did 2, will never do another! I now tye for the same reasons you do. I use embordery floss. I tyed the GFG in my avaitar. Used floss to match each fabric. Have another that needs to be tyed. I do so admire machine quilting, and hand quilting, but you have to do what works your you!