Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: tying with what????

I have been seeing quilt that are gone finished with tying and I don't know what kind of yarn or thread to use nor what needles to use. Please Help!!

I've tied quilts with regular acrylic yarn. If you use one that is too shiny and slippery, though, they tend to come untied.

I think basically any needle with a big enough eye to take the yarn and a sharp point to go through the fabric layers will work. I've seen some curved needles in the quilting section of Joann Fabric that are just for tying. I think the curve would make it a lot easier.

I have used perle crochet cotton and also embroidery cotton (2 strands). I used a chenille needle with some success. Some people use small pliers to pull the needle through all the layers.

There is a particular knot you are supposed to use too - can't think of the name of it at this moment but I'm sure someone will chime in with it.

Quote Originally Posted by glenda5253
    There is a particular knot you are supposed to use too - can't think of the name of it at this moment but I'm sure someone will chime in with it.
    It is called a surgeons knot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeaIyAyg_cs

Embroidery cotton - 2 strands and surgeons knot with the longest needle I can find (easier to grab and pull).

Blog Entries
    I have your yarn, embroidery thread, and just did one for the first time with crochet thread.

I tie wth crochet thread...

Blog Entries
    I used Perle cotton and a chenille needle. I just tied with a square knot. So far it has held up to many washings.

I wouldn't reccommend using yarm to tie quilts. The first quilts I made were tied with yarn that twisted, undid, ravelled, melted and some actually tore the blocks after shifting in the wash. Perle Cotton or embroidery cotton would work much better in my opinion. The other problem with yarn is that it needs a larger eyed needle which makes bigger holes in your quilt. As tying is not a quick technique, I now machine quilt all my quilts which I find is often faster and stands up to repeated washings and hard wear.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast