Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Which type of sewing table? >

Which type of sewing table?

Which type of sewing table?

Old 05-14-2013, 05:53 AM

Default Which type of sewing table?

Hello and good morning everyone. This is my first post and I am in the middle of completing my first quilt. I've never handled so much fabric at once on the machine and decided that I should probably purchase a sewing table. I am torn between the platform type and the full table with the ability to put the machine down below. Does anyone have an opinion on which type they prefer and why? My grandmother has one of each, but has the platform type on her nicer machine that uses to quilt. Thank you!
Old 05-14-2013, 06:32 AM

I personally like the table that allows the machine to go lower so the bed is flush with the table. It's better for my neck and back, plus it decreases the amount of 'drag' when FMQing. Good luck with your research, and welcome to the boards!
Old 05-14-2013, 06:37 AM

I would think you would want the one where the machine can be lowered also. I don't have one - but when setting up my sewing room I had my husband mount counter tops at the proper height in an L to my walls. Now that I have started quilting, this issue of the quilt drag from weight was major. Not enough counter to help support it. I ended up putting another table against my counter and removed everything off the L so I could get the area. Then all I had to suffer with was the bed of the machine being higher than the rest. I would do it differently if I could.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:36 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

I believe you will be much happier in the long run - if you think you will keep on quilting - if you find a table where the throat plate/sewing surface of your machine can fit flush with the table surface.

It is SO helpful when doing machine quilting of the "sandwich" to have the fabrics flat on the table rather than pulling "up and over" the arm of the machine! Piecing is also easier, as you can slide sections of your blocks under the needle rather than having to stop, lift them up, and rearrange them each pass through the needle. You tend not to 'lose' things like your scissors, seam ripper, awl, pins under the machine when it's recessed into the table surface, too. All good reasons to look for one like this if you can.

By the way, welcome the Quilting Board (QB) from central Virginia. You will learn a lot here, there is *never* a "dumb" question....only one you were first or brave enough to ask when someone else wanted to but didn't!

Jan in VA
Old 05-14-2013, 07:47 AM

I found a less expensive way to handle the problem. I purchased a 4ft long utility type table from either Staples or Office Depot. My husband was able to lower the height of the table by sawing 11/2inches off of the feet with his hacksaw. I have a slide on clear extension table for my machine that cost a lot more than the table. With the lowered table and the clear extension I have a great set up. I have plenty of room on both ends of the table for my sewing junk. The great thing about the clear extension is that I can put things under it, like my accessory box and see what I have at a glance. If I were to be crazy enough to machine quilt a bed size quilt I could move the machine to the right 18" and have that much more space on the table to support the bulk of the quilt. If you wanted to do a lot of machine quilting and you had the room you could purchase a longer table or put two small ones end to end.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:54 AM

My sewing table is an old desk that my friend cut out so the machine fits level with the top. He put a shelf under the cut out to hold the machine and it didn't cost me a thing because my neighbor was giving it away. I love it as the drawers are an added bonus.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:57 AM
Power Poster

well, it seems both setups have merit. i sold my frame setup yesterday and will be looking for a sit down setup in my new, very small home. so thanks for asking this question.

Welcome to the Board from MN and happy quilting
Old 05-14-2013, 10:19 AM

How is your budget? Do you want your sewing machine out all the time? If not then a cabinet with a lowering mechanism to put the machine flush or below cabinet height. It costs more but is worth it. However, several quilters have had others put in the hydraulic lift in another desk or table and that has worked well for them.

My home is sorta small so I have a cabinet which I dearly love. I only put the sewing machine away for parties ... more to protect the machine than anything else.

I also have a 2 ft x 4 ft Lifetime table and 2 smaller Lifetime tables so that I have more space for larger projects. These table adjust in height and I can put them away easily.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:40 AM

My sewing machine table has the sewing surface flush with the table. It also extends a fair distance to the left of the needle. When quilting by DSM, I pull the table away from the wall and let the quilt fall behind the table. If you have to put the sewing machine on the table, I think I would prefer a large table, wide, and deep.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:44 AM

I have to use my kitchen table as my sewing table - supports the weight very well and is nice and roomy, but if it were to be flush with the table, it would be even better! If/when I get a dedicated table, I'm going to be sure the sewing surface is flush with the table!