Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Type of Thread

Type of Thread

Hello Everyone another rainy day today in S Georgia. Does anyone know what type of thread is good for a Viking Eden machine ? Use cotton thread on my singer. There are so many threads out there I do not want to ruin my machine using wrong threads. I have 4 quilts i need to free motion . Appreciate your advice.

In three years of quilting, I've never found a better thread than Aurifil 50wt cotton. It is fine but strong and comes in many colors. Yes, it's a bit spendy but it is worth every penny.
    Dorothy in PA

If you clean your machine regularly, I don't see how you could ruin it by your thread choice. Has this happened to anyone?

Blog Entries
    I like Aurifil 50wt 2-ply also. It does not create much lint and is great for both piecing and quilting.

The only thread that might damage your machine (by gumming up the tension) is quilt that is made specifically for hand quilting. Hand quilting thread has a glazing on it that makes it not good for use in a machine.

Some cotton threads create a lot of lint. As long as you routinely clean lint out of the bobbin area and feed dogs, the machine is okay.
    Last edited by Prism99; 02-25-2013 at 10:36 AM.

I went and started using the 3ply masterpiece thread from superior on my janome and
    bernia and i really like that thread. neither machine has a problem with it.

I use any thread as long as it is not for hand quilting have never had a problem!

I don't have your machine, but I have a Janome 6600 that loves Auriful. It is worth the money to have something that works so well.

the only thread you can not use in your machine is (hand quilting thread) because it is waxed---i've had a viking for 15 years- i use lots of different threads- everything from cotton, poly, rayon, wool, silk, metallic, aurafil, invisible....as long as you take care of your machine you can use pretty much any thread you want- as long as it's not waxed- (specific for hand work)
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy
    Colleen's custom quilting; longarm services and custom quilt commissions.