Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
U.B.E.'s >

U.B.E.'s

U.B.E.'s

Old 10-18-2012, 07:49 AM

Our United Methodist Women had a quilt display at a recent tea. I made pot holders from my orphan blocks and they were given as door prizes.
Old 10-18-2012, 09:54 AM

I used them to decorate some of my reuseable grocery bags. Get quite a few questions like "where did you get that"?
Old 10-18-2012, 10:02 AM

I love orphan blocks. I always create some to try out a new technique or to have teaching samples. They never go to waste, as most of them wind up as tote bags. Please send me your unwanted orphans!!
Old 10-18-2012, 10:03 AM

You could always use them to have an 'orphan block swap' with your guild!
Old 10-18-2012, 10:09 AM

Some one in my first learn to quilt class had a suggestion (I don't think it was the instructor) that I've used over the years. If you are trying a block for size or technique or anything but color, use colors you really like or CHRISTMAS colors - you can never have too many Christmas quilts! I've sashed for sizing and placement, done set in triangles etc. Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of Christmas quilts -- but I've got a couple of tops in red, green, white, gold etc.
Old 10-18-2012, 10:12 AM
QM
Power Poster

mine go into scrappy quilts. Sometimes I chop them up first and put a segment into each of several blocks. some go into potholders. One of my favorite purses was from 2 very different orphan blocks.
Old 10-18-2012, 10:57 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sewmary View Post
I throw them away, along with small scraps of fabric, and empty spools and other sewing stuff.
Nooooo, some one could use them!
Old 10-18-2012, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by justflyingin View Post
Yep. That's what I'm doing with my QAYG quilt. You will see half of a star block, many halves of bento boxes, various 9 patches, some paper piecing practicing (I couldn't throw them away--horrors!) and some various leftover blocks (like the patriotic baskets). I decided to just add fabric around them to make them about 16" square and then trim them wonky. It's not particularly pretty, but it will be just as warm and while not PRETTY, it's "INTERESTING". It would have been esp. interesting if I had done interesting quilting. But I'm just getting to that....in my skills set.
I really like your quilt...
Old 10-18-2012, 05:36 PM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

I just save mine and then one day something comes to my pea brain and I make a quilt using some of the blocks ..
Old 10-19-2012, 05:34 AM

Luthern World Relief is collecting quilting items and completed quilts for those in need. You can just call a Luthern church for more information.