Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: uestion on embroidery say for quilt blocks

Blog Entries

uestion on embroidery say for quilt blocks

I am wondering if it is necessary to wash all the fabric first before embroidering on quilt blocks and if so what kind of thread do you all use is it poly or rayon what do you use.

I don't wash first. I use poly by isacord for embroidery. Make sure to use the right stabilizer.
    Linda

Blog Entries
    Yes I agree with Ifstamper. I also use Isacord and it seems like using the right stabilizer is most important.

Blog Entries
    thanks for the information.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by newbee3 View Post
    I am wondering if it is necessary to wash all the fabric first before embroidering on quilt blocks and if so what kind of thread do you all use is it poly or rayon what do you use.
    I pre-wash my quilt fabric because I don't want it to shrink and distort my design. Because my quilting is for children and I never know how it will be laundered, I use cotton thread.

Blog Entries
    The thread depends on the look that Im going for. I'm making a quilt where I want it to look shinny and then I'm using rayon. I made free standing lace ornaments and emblibrary.com site says that polyester is stronger so I used my serger thread in the large spools. When I made my daughters wall hanging stained glass nativity scene I used mostly rayon but if I didn't have color I'd use my aurifil to fill in the small spaces. It just depends. There are places out there that have great ideas to learn by. Like Viking and emblibrary.com have info on stablizers, etc. Just research and on the emb site look under their projects and you can see how they do them for more ideas.
    Judy