UFOs

Old 11-07-2011, 11:26 PM
Jim

I have been dutifully completing a few of mine and down to two ...that I will tear apart or cut apart because they are hideous. Working on my last one for SIL now...changed it up abit but its gonna be great and him being a car buff..he will love it
Old 11-08-2011, 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by Krisb View Post
Is it a UFO if you have purchased fabric and chosen the pattern for the quilt, but have not started cutting? If yes, then I have too many UFO's to count. If those are defined as potential stash additions, because I may change my mind and not make that quilt at all or used totally different, then only two. A lap quilt with a sunflower design that will be going to the ALS Hopes and Dreams project that still needs to be basted and FMQ and the quilt that I used to take with me to the hospital and hand quilt in my dad's room.
NO! that can't be. I could actually change my mind about the pattern or something. If this is the case, then I still have a long way to go on my UFO's....I prefer to think that only if I have cut and sewn some of the fabric that it is a UFO. This is MY thoery and I'm sticking to it. With this theory in mind....I have caught up on ALL my UFO's, as far as quilts go! LOL
Old 11-08-2011, 10:26 AM

I also thought I had my UFO stack down to one (!) and then I found a box with projects in ziploc bags... But also like you, there were reasons I had stopped working on them. The first one was because I chose to use fabric that was too thick for the pattern. The fabric was more like heavy upholstery or drapery weight. I decided to finish it up and instead of making it as big as I originally planned, finished up the 6 rather large squares I was doing and put big borders around it and will make it into a charity quilt--twin sized.

That way it is out of the unfinished box (I put quilt tops in a different category as UFOs since for them, I am content to leave them as quilt tops until I'm ready to quilt them--)--the UFOs I'm thinking of are the ones that are partly sewn together.

Now, in the process of working on those six, I kind of started more. For example, I found 12 9 patch blue and off white squares and decided to use them up by making a queen size quilt out of scrappy blues and off whites. ??? So, that is a project that I've been doing just to use up the 12 9-patches that I had. (had to make 80+ more of those 9patches!) But I'm having fun and that is what I think is important. It should all finish out okay in the end. And if it doesn't...well, I enjoyed myself and make some pretty things in the process!
Old 11-08-2011, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by DottyD View Post
Yes I have far too many UFO's -- and they are growing !!! I WILL get there LOL
Hehe! Me too!!!!!! AND I keep starting more!
Old 11-08-2011, 11:23 AM

Hmm... quilt-wise, two. One I am not even done cutting out the pieces for, and one that I got at an estate sale (in a box o' misc. fabrics) that just needs binding, but I can't decide how to do that, because there wasn't fabric to make binding with and commercial solid colors... just won't work.

However, on costumes.... WAYYYYY too many. A lot, even. *shudder* And looking at needing a new chemise, bloomers, two skirts (minimum) and two bodices. *sigh*
Old 11-08-2011, 11:44 AM

Before I joined Stashbusters in 2003, I had more than 80 UFOs (projects started and 2 or more years old). That doesn't even count the PIGS (Projects in Grocery Sacks). Currently, I have about 75 UFOs and PIGS combined. Only 2 UFOs were abandoned (taken apart, fabric returned to stash, etc.). I'm not even going to go into the why this happened. I can only say that I'm much better. Most of my stuff is also not small - twin sized or larger - no crib quilts.

2012 will be a stashbusting year for me. I have a lot of theme fabric and I need to get those tops done so that I can use the leftovers for either the backs or to do block swaps. I need to severely restrict my fabric buying to pay for my latest gadget (Bernina 440 QE).
Old 11-08-2011, 11:47 AM

I currently have approximately 5, not counting the one that I need to do for the Quilts for Quilters swap!!
Old 11-08-2011, 11:48 AM

I have so many ufo's and so many kits and so much fabric that I'm staying away from LQS . I 'm going to finish up some of this and free my self of all this madness.