Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Ugly quilts

Ugly quilts

Ok so I'm guilty of looking but did you know they have forums with posts of ugly quilts. Some don't belong and thank heaven I had a great teacher so I never made a weird or wonky quilt. Wow just had to share because I thought there was no such thing but.....at least I can learn from other mistakes. There's even a contest.....
    *Rachel*

there are quilts that are made Ugly on purpose---check out the site for (my brother's keeper) it is a charitable program-making quilts for the homeless---they ask that the quilts be made ugly=the uglier the better---just warm---because when the quilts are beautiful people steal them! i can not imagine someone stealing from a homeless person---but it happens- so- ugly quilts is one of the options. it is a great program.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

A long time ago at the beginning of the internet, there was an annual "Ugly Quilt" contest, in conjunction with a book that came out. It was HILARIOUS, especially the judges' comments. I remember one that had a nylon knee-high stuck to the back somehow. Wish I could find it again.

Ptquilts, I think you must be remembering Ami Simms contest: amisimms.com
    You are right -- it is hilarious!

Dayle

i never saw a ugly quilt

Ugly is in the eye of the beholder, I guess. I don't think I've ever seen an ugly quilt.
    The Trike Riding Quilting Diva

Central Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    I've made some quilts I later thought were ugly. But, as always, one man's trash is another man's treasure.

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.

My second quilt is so poorly sewn that i think it qualifies as ugly. However, I think the colors are beautiful. It is all 60 degree triangles on point - I copied from a picture, had no instruction, the bias stretched, the points got cut off about half the time. LOL It looks like some poor little orphan - but the colors are to die for.
    Last edited by TanyaL; 03-05-2012 at 10:59 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CRELLA View Post
    i never saw a ugly quilt
    Then you haven't seen my first one-posted it here a while ago when there was another thread on ugly quilts. Actually, I have (had) an even uglier one (if that was even possible!), but couldn't waste the film taking a picture-the only quilt of over 30 that I haven't got a pic of!! TRUST ME--IT WAS UGLY!!

I remember seeing an ongoing ugly or bad quilt contest some time ago. I remember one quilt in particular, a crazy quilt and one rather large piece was wool while the rest of it was not. Well .. the quilt had been washed and dried and the single wool piece looked like it was trying to swallow the rest of the quilt whole. It was hysterical.
    May your stitches always be straight, your seams always lie flat, and your grain never be biased against you.

Sue

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast