Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Uh-oh.. what now??? >

Uh-oh.. what now???

Uh-oh.. what now???

Old 03-09-2012, 06:25 PM

I quilted this same panel with a "cow jumped over the moon" pantograph and it was really cute when finished. You have been given some good advice. Good luck with your project.
Old 03-09-2012, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by ArtsyOne View Post
Another option for a beginning quilter is to do the pillowcase method which supposes minimal quilting. Cut the back and the front fabrics the same size, with the batting just about 1/2" smaller. Lay the two fabrics right sides together, with the batting on top and then sew around 3-1/2 sides. From the opening, grab the two far ends of everything and then pull through the opening. You now have what amounts to a pillowcase with batting inside. Do some stitching around the edges of the center panel and the next border, then close the opening. Simple and quick.

and a perfect solution. i was thinking simple and quick and this fits.
Old 03-09-2012, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by kclausing View Post
Use a spray baste, the quilt. When you are done quilting, the decide whether to trim or fold over.
I do not prefer pillowcase method because things can shift during quilting and if youve already sewn the edges you may have issues.
i used this method with a bunch of cat beds that i made and nothing shifted. you anchor the batting down by sewing around the edges so that is does not shift. once i turned the sandwich inside out, i sewed around the edges to make sure it did not move and then i did a few tacking stitches in the middle so that the pads would endure washing. i have washed the ones i kept for my furbabies with no batting issues.
Old 03-10-2012, 04:55 AM

Good luck in whatever you decide to do and congrats on the little one on its way
Old 03-10-2012, 07:58 AM

Or try tying the quilt with floss, that makes for a cute quilt also. But i like Arstyone idea also.
Old 03-10-2012, 10:04 AM

What an exciting time for you with the grandchild on the way. I'm sure that whatever method you use to make this sweet quilt the baby and his mom will love it. The only thing I can think to add to everyone else's suggestions is that before you sandwich and start sewing, it would be a good idea to iron both the top and the back using quite a bit of starch. A few minutes in the clothes dryer will take the wrinkles out of the batting (if it is cotton). This will help you a great deal in keeping everything straight. After it's done you'll want to wash the starch out of the finished quilt before using it for the baby. If you do decide to bind it, you would probably find it easier to manage a bias binding. This means the fabric is cut in strips across the diagonal. It will be more flexible than the straight trimmings from your backing. You might have to buy more fabric, but probably less than a yard. You could use a contrasting fabric, such as a solid color from the design. You should be able to find good instructions for binding both on this board and on Youtube, or perhaps there is an experienced quilter near you who could guide you through the steps initially. It's much easier to show than to explain. Best wishes for the wee one to be.
Old 03-10-2012, 10:33 AM

Your panel is cute and it's going to make a wonderful quilt. The easiest way is to the birthing method(you can search it here or on youtube to get a tutorial). You could quilt it also, but the batting and backing need to be larger than the top. It will shrink up a little when you quilt it. Afterwards, you can square it up(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPlo79fz6P0). After that, you can add your binding. Just take a deep breath and go slow and take your time. Remember, quilting is fun!!!! There are lots of videos and tutes to show how do do all of it. If you need more help, ask. There are tons of people here that are willing to help the best they can.
Old 03-10-2012, 02:30 PM

Personally, I like to bring the back to the front when finishing. I think it looks nicer.
Old 03-10-2012, 04:30 PM
Power Poster

Love the panel. Some great guidance from the ladies. Please post a pic when finished
Old 03-10-2012, 05:15 PM

Very cute fabric. Will make a super quilt. Best of luck on your endeavour.