Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ultra Suede fabric to piece quilt >

Ultra Suede fabric to piece quilt

Ultra Suede fabric to piece quilt

Old 04-29-2011, 08:21 PM

I saw some fabric today in Joanns and should have written down what it's called. It was on a regular bolt and felt like a thin ultra suede. Some of the selections were embossed. There were some pretty colors and I'm wondering in anyone has a clue what it's called an if you think it would work for piecing in a quilt (for the actual quilt blocks, not applique).
Old 04-29-2011, 08:32 PM

Real Ultra Suede is very expensive, a few years ago I bought enough to make a skirt for a DGD and it cost nearly 50 dollars a yard!!! But now some of it is pretty resonable, considering that it can be washed over and over, and some of it is thin enough to make into blouses and even quilts. The more it's washed the softer it gets.

I'll check my own Joann's for this. since I want some for myself.
I have a lovely blouse that I've nearly worn out, I'll take it apart and use it as a pattern since it fits loosely and looks good and feels good and the sleeves are wide enough to hide batwing arms.
Old 04-29-2011, 08:37 PM

It's probably a polyester with a suede finish. Was the back rather shiny? It washes beautifully. I have several skirts and a suit made of it. Some of the yardage I have hanging out in my sewing/storage room would make a pretty winter quilt. Was it in clearance? It's usually featured in the fall.
Old 04-29-2011, 08:42 PM

It was about $10/yard and not on sale,and it DID have a shiny back. I think it would probably work well for a quilt but wish I could remember what it's called so I could look at some colors online and do some planning. I live about 30-40 minutes from Joanns so can't just pop in to check. Appreciate the replies.
Old 04-30-2011, 02:57 AM
Power Poster

as long as the fabrics you use in your project all share the same (care requirements) you can use them...and if they don't you can still use them- you just have to figure out how to care for the finished quilt (spot cleaning/ dry cleaning/ laundering/ vacuuming/
washable ultra suede is nice to work with (but a bit slippery) i made a quilt for one of my brothers with just 9" blocks alternating ultra suedes and corduroys...it is FABULOUS! but very heavy!
Old 04-30-2011, 03:09 AM

If the fabric you are talking about is moleskin, I have a bit of advice. It is like sewing butter to ice so be sure to use interfacing!
Old 04-30-2011, 04:05 AM

Thanks for the interfacing tip. It may be moleskin. Joanns' website only shows solids of moleskin. In the store they had blue on tan large paisley print with coordinating solids that I think could make a striking quilt, used in the right pattern. Not sure if I would use the same fabric to back or not. The fabric actually felt pretty light. I'll have to watch Joanns ads for it to go on sale.

Thanks everyone!