Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Un-sewing >

Un-sewing

Un-sewing

Old 10-02-2015, 01:04 PM
Power Poster

If you were a writer would you expect never to have to revise your work?

If you were a carpenter would every nail go in straight?

If you were a mailman would you never deliver a letter to the wrong house (my mailman sure does it a lot).

If you were a programmer would every program work right the first time? (Mine rarely did.)

If you were... well, you get the idea. Ask DH if he ever has to re-do something in his work or hobby and wait for a truthful answer. Then give yourself a break and enjoy the opportunity to sit down and fondle your fabric while you use the ripper.
Old 10-02-2015, 01:12 PM
Power Poster

Almost every quilt I make, there is at least one block I have had to undo. Here is the latest one that I goofed up. Fortunately, it was only the one block. Can't see the wrong side with batiks.
Attached Thumbnails block-screw-up.jpg  
Old 10-02-2015, 01:15 PM
Power Poster

I call myself "Stitchnripper" for a good reason. But, I find ripping stitches somehow relaxing. I don't normally mind. I quilt for my own pleasure and am never in a hurry, so what's a few seams to rip. No big whoop.
Old 10-02-2015, 01:21 PM

It's my most frequent form of handwork in front of the TV. I get my tea, coffee, or wine, my project, my blanket if I'm cold, the remote and my seam ripper.
Old 10-02-2015, 02:12 PM

Just finished 'unsewing' the center of a quilt and making a correction. Hang in there.
Old 10-02-2015, 02:18 PM

I consider my seam-ripper to be my best friend!
Old 10-02-2015, 03:06 PM

I did alterations for quite some time. It cured me of my dislike for the seamripper - because no matter what I did - unsewing was almost always the first step to a successful ending!

It's the best way to end up with a great finished product, being willing to try again if something ends up off.
Old 10-02-2015, 03:14 PM

Yes, I have but doing so was a huge mistake and one that I regret every time I see that quilt. I have invested more time in wishing I had un-sewed that seam than it would have taken to fix the problem.
Old 10-02-2015, 03:36 PM

Two days ago, I showed my niece a small quilt I made that had 25 strips in it, plus a border. The story went like this - one of my first quilts. every piece was sewn wavy, and every piece had to be "un-sewn. That meant ripping out 50 wavy stitch lines.

She was working on her first quilt. Straight sewing isn't as easy as it looks, and my example was to show her that we make mistakes, the mistakes can be fixed, and sewing straight isn't as easy as it looks.

I heard her humming as she 'un-stitched' some of her work.

It's good to know that you don't have to be perfect - ever.
Old 10-02-2015, 06:12 PM

Ripping just comes with the territory, I don't mind it much, it's just getting the little unsewn thread pieces out that bothers me. Someone here said they use a pencil eraser to pull them out and it does make it easier but arg those little snippets are annoying.