Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Un-sewing >

Un-sewing

Un-sewing

Old 10-03-2015, 03:00 PM

We all have had to unsew a project at some time.. I just laugh at myself for being silly and sewing it wrong in the first place. No sense dwelling on it. Won't make it better. So laugh and rip.
Old 10-03-2015, 03:30 PM

I'm such a perfectionist that I rip and re sew things that others would probably leave. Today, I ripped several times because I was slightly cutting off a star point. I was happy to rip because all of my stars now have perfect points. About two thirds of the quilts I've made had no ripping; but I just consider ripping a part of sewing and, actually, enjoy ripping. One reason that I have made so many quilts that did not require the seam ripper is that I spend a lots of time carefully pinning before I sew and take the time to make accurate seams.
Old 10-04-2015, 02:43 AM

I unsew all the time and it doesn't even bother me anymore. I used to hate it. Now I am proud of myself for wanting and expecting my work to be of a better quality. I also feel that I have learned a little patience since I am no longer frustrated when I have to reach for my ripper. It's just another necessary tool that I use often. Every time I unsew a seam, I know how much better the finished product will look for my efforts. You keep unsewing with the rest of us!
Old 10-04-2015, 05:13 AM

I have visited Jack (the Seam Ripper) so often he thinks I have a crush on him!!!
Old 10-04-2015, 05:20 AM

Gosh I don't know if I've ever made a project that didn't require some correction - I just consider it part of the process.
Old 10-04-2015, 05:31 AM

You folks make me feel so much better knowing I'm not the only one that spends time un-sewing. I'll just have to learn to suck it up and rip away, lol. Thanks everyone!!!
Old 10-04-2015, 05:47 AM
Power Poster

I'm sorry your husband made you feel bad about it... but you shouldn't. (Men are just insensitive jerks sometimes, LOL.) As others have said, it's just part of quilting. It means you have high standards for yourself and when your quilt isn't looking like you had envisioned, you correct it. I often try out a quilting idea and if I don't like it I am more than willing to sit and rip out the sts to be able to try something else. The resulting quilt is always worth it. Please don't be depressed!
Old 10-04-2015, 08:07 AM
RST

I almost never un-sew. I'd rather accept the alternate arrangement, modify the plan, or cut off an offending area and re-purpose it than spend my time and energy picking out stitches. Not to say that I don't know my way around a seam ripper, but I just choose not to make use of that option as a way of dealing with things very often.
Old 10-04-2015, 09:48 AM

I made a "Beatles" quilt for my daughter. If it is possible, I think I un-sewed it more than I sewed it. Guess it was
worth it.....it is her prize possession. At least that is what she tells me.
Old 10-04-2015, 10:20 AM

That is why I have about five rippers laying around and they are all well used.