Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
underground railroad quilt >

underground railroad quilt

underground railroad quilt

Old 06-02-2010, 01:05 PM

I made the quilt, it only needs to be quilted. The last time I looked at it I did not like the last border, so some adjustment may need to be made.

I BELIEVE, and have read the book on the story.
Old 06-02-2010, 01:41 PM

Barbara Brackman wrote a book on the story of the underground railroad quilts. She is a quilt historian and her work is so good. I don't have the book in front of me, but you can get it on Amazon.
Old 06-02-2010, 04:09 PM

My LQS just started a block of the month with blocks from Eleanor Burns' book.

I have half of my first block put together and went and picked up the second block just today!
Old 06-02-2010, 06:55 PM
Zoe

I read with interest the story of the Underground Quilts, and for what it's worth, here's what my mother and grandmother told me. We are from the bayous of Louisiana, and my grandmother would tell me that whenever there was someone with a contagious illness in the family, they would hang a quilt with a yellow symbol on the wall or the hedge. That was the universal sign of contagion and it meant "stay away". Conversely, if they were receiving visitors, a quilt with the pineapple design would be draped on the porch railing, the pineapple being the universal symbol of hospitality.

I agree with the poster who chooses to believe these stories, because a lot of family lore, myths, and stories are passed down by oral tradition. Slaves, and many poor whites, were not taught to read or to write in those times.
Old 06-02-2010, 09:04 PM

I got the Burns book years ago, but haven't made the blocks yet. I made a virtual UGRR quilt in EQ.

I do believe the stories. There was a discussion on another board about this topic and one of the posts came from a woman whose gg-grandmother was a Quaker in Ohio and verified the story
Old 06-03-2010, 04:13 AM

When I first joined this board there was a BIG OL' debate going on about the truth of UGRR quilts. Doesn't matter what the truth is (and we'll never know for sure) it's a matter of what you choose to believe. Make the quilt, enjoy it. To me, it's kind of like most stories, part of it was probably true but a lot of myth has probably been tossed in too. Once again, make your quilt, enjoy it, and build your own stories as you go.
Old 06-03-2010, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by raptureready
When I first joined this board there was a BIG OL' debate going on about the truth of UGRR quilts. Doesn't matter what the truth is (and we'll never know for sure) it's a matter of what you choose to believe. Make the quilt, enjoy it. To me, it's kind of like most stories, part of it was probably true but a lot of myth has probably been tossed in too. Once again, make your quilt, enjoy it, and build your own stories as you go.
I went in and searched the archives and read those comments. I had forgotten I could search on it. I also went online and did a search and read some of the different sites. Quite interesting the different points of view! I think that there is probably some truth in there and lots of add ons and embellishing as we went along. Thanks for all the thoughts. Now to pick some colors, I don't want the dark colors, so something a little brighter will catch my eye I'm sure.
Old 06-03-2010, 06:14 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by twinquilter
I have taught a couple of classes on this topic making blocks from Eleanor Burns book: Underground Railroad Sampler; there is some controversy with this topic and no known hard facts to substansiate that quilts were used to navigate the underground railroad; however, there is evidence that the information was passed down verbally via stories; at any rate the underground RR is a part of our history and there is a possibility that some did use the quilts as part of the Underground RR; but whether you believe the stories, or not enjoy the process of making the blocks;
no quilt historian believes this to be true - it's called an urban myth
Old 06-03-2010, 07:26 AM

no quilt historian believes this to be true - it's called an urban myth[/quote]

Well I am not a quilt historian. I have read a few reasons why they disbelieve. Myths usually a at least a grain of truth in them.
As mention we make our own choice in what to believe.
I WANT to believe, so I do.
Old 06-03-2010, 07:39 AM

I have been to the underground quilt museum in "the underground" in ATlanta, GA. WOW!!! I certainly recomend a visit if anyone happens to be in the area!