Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
uneven center square >

uneven center square

uneven center square

Old 03-04-2015, 01:39 PM

Default uneven center square

I'm coming to the source of all wisdom and knowledge !!

I purchased a picture fabric - horses - to make a quilt for a very special young lady. I want to use the picture squares as the center of star block.
However...now that i have it home, i find that the picture squares are NOT square, but are 6 x 6 1/2. Cutting them at 6x6 would remove the borders on 2 sides.
SO......suggestions ???
Thus far i've only thought to perhaps to the "wonky" star instead....or maybe change the idea entirely and do warm wishes. ..... but i sure had my heart set on stars.
Any suggestions would be VERY welcome.
Thank you !!
Old 03-04-2015, 01:47 PM

Add to the borders on the two short sides. Find a complementary color solid that works to make it a square and go from there.
Old 03-04-2015, 02:30 PM
Power Poster

I would add a border to all 4 sides, cutting 2 of the sides narrower, as I think that a border on 4 sides will make it less noticeable. I would try to get fabric as close to the color of the existing border, or at least the same value.
Old 03-04-2015, 02:49 PM
Gay

You don't say what width the current borders are, or what size you'd like the blocks to be. Can you trim back the longer borders and use the shorter ones as the seam allowance?
Old 03-04-2015, 05:34 PM

How about adding a row of blocks down one side. This makes it assymtrical on purpose. add borders on all sides if you wish.
Old 03-04-2015, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
I would add a border to all 4 sides, cutting 2 of the sides narrower, as I think that a border on 4 sides will make it less noticeable. I would try to get fabric as close to the color of the existing border, or at least the same value.
DUH.....it was stuck in my head to do a 12" finished block - i did not see this option in my tiny brain...but i think that your save will look the best...i'll just add on so that it's a 14" block instead...Thank you.
Old 03-05-2015, 11:00 AM

I've had that happen. Bought some fabric that had panels that I wanted to use. Cut the "square" out and found out it was a rhombus. So I went to a different store and bought some more...and it was not square either. I did this four times...I'm a slow learner...before someone finally told me that when the mfg does a run and if they don't get it square, all the fabric in that run will be off square. So I bought some fabric from the same design line and added borders to square the panel up. Once the quilt was finished you could not tell that the original square was a rhombus.