Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Unexpected Results Using Warm and Natural batting >

Unexpected Results Using Warm and Natural batting

Unexpected Results Using Warm and Natural batting

Old 03-17-2015, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by Lady Diana View Post
If there is a right and wrong way of placing your batting, why doesn't W & N company have BIG LETTERS on the cover to tell you that!!!!!!!!!! I have never heard of this....glad it was posted. Someone who has had a bad experience with it should call the W&N company and tell them they need to put a warning on their packaging...
I too, was wondering why they don't have that information on the brown paper wrapping that lines the off-the-bolt batting and like you say Lady Diana, clearly stated on the packaging of the pre-cut sizes.

I'm just so very grateful to all the knowledge that is so freely shared here on this forum!!!! It seems I learn something or multiple somethings every time I read the posts.
Old 03-17-2015, 05:56 AM
Power Poster

I have never heard an instance of where this presented a problem for people who quilt on a DOMESTIC I have only heard this be a problem for LONGARM quilters. Most likely the reason being the disparity in the size of the needle. By comparison, a longarm needle looks like a harpoon when placed next to a domestic sewing machine needle. All of you who have posted that you have never had a problem, what do you quilt on?? If it is a domestic, then there you go. If it is a true longarm (not a stretched domestic like a baily) that uses the big needles, then you have been lucky. It only needs to happen to you once and you will pay attention.

It has happened to me.

The warm company does not put a warning message in their packaging for the most likely reason that this issue only effects a very small percentage of their customers, the longarm quilting community. And most longarmers are aware of the issue and don't like using W&N batting anyways. I know W&N is at the bottom of my list of go to battings.
Old 03-17-2015, 06:41 AM

This worries me in that I bought some W&N batting from JoAnn's over a year ago but haven't used it. I normally use polyester batting. I guess I can feel to see if what I have has bumps and if so I won't use it.

Oops....just read later posts, including the one from feline fanatic, which is very helpful. So far I've quilted all my own quilts, and will keep this in mind when using the W&N.

Last edited by Friday1961; 03-17-2015 at 06:43 AM.
Old 03-17-2015, 07:12 AM

This is, indeed, interesting as I have made many quilts using W&N and must have just been lucky as I've never had a problem. But I will definitely note this for future reference. Are there any instructions on the paper sheet that comes with the W&N? I see that Feline has answered this question......Still, I have usually sent my quilts to a LA and guess I've been lucky. Nobody has ever mentioned this to me.
Old 03-17-2015, 07:27 AM
DJ

Good information! I'm amazed this hasn't come up before (that I've seen anyway). Thanks everyone!
Old 03-17-2015, 08:05 AM

The batting was put on the quilt, scrim side down...should have been scrim side up. Also, if the backing is not a tight weave...this can also happen. Not bad batting...just the way it was used, or the backing was too loose a weave.
Marge

Originally Posted by mac View Post
A friend had her 90x70” quilt professionally done and when she got it back it looked like the quilter had used a needle with a burr on it. The batting had popped through the backing on ¾ of the quilt. The quilter showed her what happened and said that she changed her needle 3 times but it still kept on happening. Since we all go to the Senior Center on Tuesday’s for a quilting workshop, 8 of us pitched in and started the “reverse quilting” project. It looked like a reverse-quilting bee.

It took us a month of Tuesdays, and during the time we all gave our theory on why it happened. My friend had used Warm and Natural cotton batting and we started noticing that there were a lot of little bumps in the batting. You couldn't see them, but you could feel it with your fingers. When she sent the quilt back to the quilter, she gave her all new batting. The quilter said that it quilted like a charm and it looked beautiful when it came back.

She had purchased 11 yards batting at Joann’s when it was on sale. In the middle of the reverse quilting project when we suspected that it might be the batting, we took the quilt and the remainder of the batting back to Joann’s and they exchanged the entire yardage for new batting. They were being quite generous since my friend had thrown away her receipt. Who knew, you buy batting and just assume that it will be good to go.

Moral of the story: always keep your receipt and have lots of wonderful quilting friends.
Old 03-17-2015, 09:02 AM

I dug up a package of W&N that I had stuffed in a closet. Nowhere on the package does it have placement instructions for which side goes up. It does, however, claim it won't beard.

I would call the company and see what their explanation is.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]513948[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails batting.jpg   batting.jpg  
Old 03-17-2015, 09:22 AM

Just got some Warm and White at Hancock's. The paper that came with it has no reference to right or wrong side and no mention of scrim. It does say needle punched. Have not used this brand before except maybe in an unmarked kit. There is an url....thewarmcompany.com..possibly they could clarify all this.
Old 03-17-2015, 10:06 AM

I agree. I was aware of two different sides but in many many years of quilting and using this product I have never tried to make certain that one side was up and one was down. I have also never ever had a bearding problem. This still sounds to me like a problem with that particular batting that particular time. Maybe something happened in the production.
Originally Posted by Chester the bunny View Post
What????? There is a right side and wrong side?
I knew that there was a different texture on both sides but did not realize it would make a difference. I don't remember ever having a problem but maybe somewhere out there, there are quilts with beards.
Old 03-17-2015, 10:30 AM
Power Poster

After reading some of the replies, I really had no idea that there was a right and a wrong side to W&N batting, but then I have never had a problem like this one happen. Thank you for the excellent information, I will keep it in mind when I tackle my next quilt. I was also pleasantly surprised when JoAnn's replaced the entire yardage of the batting for new batting. Excellent customer service. It's wonderful that you had such great quilting friends to reverse-quilt your quilt. Quilting friends are definitely keepers.