Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 14 1 2 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Unfriendly Quilt Shops?

Has anyone ever heard of quilt shops charging a fee for helping a customer choose fabrics for their project? I heard that a quilt shop in Chesterton, Indiana, did this to a woman. What's worse is that she had brought some antique quilt blocks to the store to try to find some fabric to go with them and she was stopped at the door and told to leave them in her car. They did not want fabric from another quilt shop in their shop. Has anyone had an experience like this? You can be sure, I will never set foot in THAT shop! :thumbdown:

That's crazy!!!! I guess that would be one shop that I would not return to.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Jane
    Has anyone ever heard of quilt shops charging a fee for helping a customer choose fabrics for their project? I heard that a quilt shop in Chesterton, Indiana, did this to a woman. What's worse is that she had brought some antique quilt blocks to the store to try to find some fabric to go with them and she was stopped at the door and told to leave them in her car. They did not want fabric from another quilt shop in their shop. Has anyone had an experience like this? You can be sure, I will never set foot in THAT shop! :thumbdown:
    WOW! Never heard of it. I have brought quilts into many different shops to match up colors and fabrics... The customer service employees just love to see what quilters are doing now and in the past. You might talk with the manager or owner and find out if this is a regular thing with them. If so, do not go back.

No, but i bet they won't be open long with service like that

Blog Entries
    Until you have seen it and experienced it, it's just a story from someone about someone else.
    We don't know what really happened and have to give the other party a chance to explain themselves too.

Just to be fair.

wow thats crazy my LQS loves to help if you give good sevice the first visit people will come back.

MTS
    Banned
    Deleted - duplicate

This reminds me of an experience at a local UPS mailing store recently. The sign on the copy machine said to "ask for help". When I got through, he charge me for helping me on top of the price per page copied. I got no where when I asked why the sign did not say there was a charge for the needed assistance. Also, when he pushed the button to make the copy darker, that was an additional "editing" charge.

MTS
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jane
    I heard that a quilt shop in Chesterton, Indiana, did this to a woman. What's worse is that she had brought some antique quilt blocks to the store to try to find some fabric to go with them and she was stopped at the door and told to leave them in her car. They did not want fabric from another quilt shop in their shop
    Well, the only quilt shop there is now closed.

Sounds like urban legend to me, or ONE very disgruntled customer.

You're in Indiana - did you ever hear it or other consistent complaints from others who shopped there?

Or perhaps she arrived while the closing/clearing out sale was going on. Not really a time to roam the aisles planning a quilt.

geesh, sounds like the sister of a shop around here...
    it is sad when store owners go out of their way to keep good business away.
    she does not understand word of mouth can make or break a business. i hope this experience does not sour her toward quilt shops there are are alot who are totally opposite....in fact my favorite lqs LOVES SHOW AND TELL and they do not care one bit if the fabric came from anywhere else, or the pattern or anything like that...in fact they do not require you to buy their fabric if you take a class. you may need a pattern or book specific but you are welcome to bring fabrics from your stash; they don't ask...they don't comment (unless of course it is something fabulous they want some of too!)
    that (other one) we pretty much avoid unless we have to have something we just can not find anywhere else, or have to have it right away-no time to order from somewhere else...that's too bad too...i still stop in once in awhile when the owner is not there...i'm friends with her employees but i don't give her much of my $$--she treated my hubby poorly when he was christmas shopping and lost a $200 sale...he walked out and went to the (good/friendly) shop. makes you wonder how they stay in business...

Page 1 of 14 1 2 11 ... LastLast