Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: unorthodox basting idea

unorthodox basting idea

the weekend before Hurricane Sandy, I was trying to get a baby quilt finished so I had some hand work when we lost power (I knew we would, since we lose power for no apparent reason several times a year - we have a generator, thank goodness!)

I grabbed the elmer's school glue, and ackkkkk... it was all dried up and useless. Then I spotted the box of glue sticks I had sitting there.

I used the glue stick in small areas, ironed it nice and flat to the batting and kept doing that til the whole thing was "glue basted" front and back.

I worked GREAT!!! I was able to machine quilt it with very little effort!!! I have NOT been successful pin basting, I have NO idea what I am doing wrong when I pin baste, but that is for another day's efforts.

Hope this helps someone else!!
    F

I think I'll give it a try. What kind of glue stick did you use?
    Proud grandma of Coast Guard grandson and Air Force granddaughter!

Blog Entries
    I have a friend who glue sticks anything she is going to applique. She does beautiful work. I don't have a clue what the long term effects of the glue on fabric would have. Sometimes years down the road we get quite a surprise.
    Happy Quilting.
    Sally Dolin -The Lazy Quilter
    Gammill Classic+
    Rock Island, IL

it was just a washable glue stick... staples brand

Blog Entries
    I use washable glue sticks for applique and papter piecing. Just make sure it's washable!
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

Blog Entries
    I use glue about as much as thread when I make a quilt! LOL. I recently found the Lapel brand glue stick. It's made for fabric and holds better then the school glue sticks although I use a lot Elmer's School glue and sticks too. http://www.lapelstick.com/
    Got fabric?

I use any brand of washable glue sticks for small projects and for binding and appliqué. Works great. For larger projects I use Elmer's School Glue. It never fails to amaze me. LOL

Thanks to all of you who posted about the glue sticks. What a help this will be to me! Pin-basting takes awhile and I can better use that time if I glue-baste!
    When someone mentions quilting, I go to pieces!