Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
unquilted sashing & borders >

unquilted sashing & borders

unquilted sashing & borders

Old 07-26-2013, 02:02 PM
Power Poster

Welcome to this wonderful board. Lots of helpful people here. Your quilt is pretty. I no longer do hand quilting. I always do FMQ in the borders and sashes. I love doing it and love the look. I always quilt at least 3-5" apart, no matter what the batting says. I like the idea of stencils. Just be careful what you mark them with.
Old 07-26-2013, 05:55 PM

Your quilt is so pretty and you have done a very good job with your hand quilting. I still haven't gotten the hang of rocking the needle and keeping my stitches consistent. Did you find it easy to do? Maybe I just don't stay with it long enough to get the rhythm. And the thimble is another problem for me. So I'm very impressed that you accomplished all this with your first quilt. Keep up the good work and thanks for sharing it with us.
Old 07-26-2013, 06:05 PM

Welcome to the board.. Your quilting looks great.. I would add some more quilting to the borders and cornerstones.. It will be ok to go ahead even with the borders on since you are not going to be doing real heavy quiltin.. Keep up the good work
Old 07-27-2013, 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by newestnana View Post
I've never really understood this concept. What would happen (to the batting) if there was no quilting in the sashings or borders? I've frequently left borders or sashings unquilted. In fact the rule would pretty much rule out any all vertical quilting (etc) and imply there always has to be some 90 degree quilting as well. Another row of quilting in the sashing would still not resolve the "in all directions" requirement, would it? What am I

I understand that extra quilting might look nice...

If you ever had a store bought lofty comforter that is very widely quilted you see that after a while between washing s and usage that batting begins to migrate and "lump" up.....don't want that to happen to something you have put a lot of work,money and love into. It does not mean this voids anything that may be quilted directionally, I think it just means the spaces between those quilted lines should not be excessively wide which would not keep that batting in place and thus cause sagging, lumping, migrating or whatever. Especially nowadays when everything is washed in machines and then plopped into a dryer on HOT---and in some cases more often than necessary causing some serious damage to fabric and stitching.....JMHO
Old 07-27-2013, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by jeanharville View Post
Your quilt is so pretty and you have done a very good job with your hand quilting. I still haven't gotten the hang of rocking the needle and keeping my stitches consistent. Did you find it easy to do? Maybe I just don't stay with it long enough to get the rhythm. And the thimble is another problem for me. So I'm very impressed that you accomplished all this with your first quilt. Keep up the good work and thanks for sharing it with us.
Thank you so much! The quilting was quite a struggle at first but after watching many youtube videos and reading Quiltmaking by Hand, I finally got the hang of the rocking motion. However, mine are definitely not all that even or small. This is the thimble I've been using: http://www.joann.com/leather-nimble-...-tip/prd17580/

I'd like to get some thimble pads (like these: http://www.joann.com/thimblepads-12-pkg/prd12977/) for my underneath finger but I haven't tried them yet.
Old 07-27-2013, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by newestnana View Post
I've never really understood this concept. What would happen (to the batting) if there was no quilting in the sashings or borders? I've frequently left borders or sashings unquilted. In fact the rule would pretty much rule out any all vertical quilting (etc) and imply there always has to be some 90 degree quilting as well. Another row of quilting in the sashing would still not resolve the "in all directions" requirement, would it? What am I missing?

I understand that extra quilting might look nice...
That's what I wasn't sure about either. I was originally thinking that since the quilting at the edge of each block would only be 3 inches apart (on either side of the sashing), that it would be enough to secure the batting. But then I second-guessed myself because of the length of the sashing, and the consensus seems to be that it does need at least a little something to break that up.