Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Unquilting >
  • Unquilting

• Unquilting

Old 03-10-2016, 12:18 AM

Feeling your pain---literally in my arms and shoulders! Spent about 9 hrs unquilting about a fourth of a quilt last night--had about gotten finished and needing to turn it for borders when I realized I had a pleat that ran almost all the way down the one side. And of course there wasn't any tension problems and part of the borders on this panel had an intricate design---so it was almost picking out each individual stitch! plan to buy a new seam ripper--think I wore that one out!
    Old 03-10-2016, 03:23 AM

Originally Posted by my-ty
    Sigh. Been there ... done that. When I am unquilting, I try to focus my thoughts on how much better it will be once I am finished....
    perfectly stated... I think it's part of the process even if it's the part we dislike the most.
    Old 03-10-2016, 04:07 AM

Sorry for your plight!!! I guess all of us face these little mishaps now and again. I read your answers and am always so impressed at how much you know...I think of you as one of the experts I read and learn from here on quilt board. So all of us novice to expert suffer the gremlins attacking our machines! At least this is a small mistake! Now when I mess up...wil just think....part of the process.
    Old 03-10-2016, 05:37 AM

This sounds like your "challenge" quilt for the year! When done, it will be worth it. But you know that. Please share a photo when it's done.
    Old 03-10-2016, 05:45 AM
    Power Poster

Ditto what she said!
    Originally Posted by coopah
    This sounds like your "challenge" quilt for the year! When done, it will be worth it. But you know that. Please share a photo when it's done.
    Old 03-10-2016, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by Reba'squilts
    Sorry for your plight!!! I guess all of us face these little mishaps now and again. I read your answers and am always so impressed at how much you know...I think of you as one of the experts I read and learn from here on quilt board. So all of us novice to expert suffer the gremlins attacking our machines! At least this is a small mistake! Now when I mess up...wil just think....part of the process.
    Agree with the statement saying "impressed at how much you know......I think of you as one of the experts"). So it's nice to know to get to be one of the best you have to back track a little also. And it takes a good person to admit their mistakes.
    Old 03-10-2016, 09:12 AM

I play a game with myself when I am in your situation. I pretend that for every stitch I remove that is one evil person removed from this world. It seems to keep me motivated.
    Old 03-10-2016, 10:23 AM

Two of the most important pieces of advice I was given when I started quilting were that you have a seam ripper not for if you need it, but for when you need it. Accept that everyone will need to take out stitches. And the other one was to REPLACE that seam ripper, not keep it the 20 years that most of us do! You will be amazed at how nicely a new ripper works!
    Old 03-10-2016, 07:59 PM

So sorry this happened. When it is all fixed you will feel better. Fabric is pretty.
    Old 03-11-2016, 07:11 AM

I use the blunt side of a needle to take out the stitches, it seems to be working better and faster than other tools