Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: unraveling batiks problem

Blog Entries
    From one of my LQS, I purchased some dark batik fabrics at $8.95 a yard. I'm making one of myDGS a quilt for graduation and he loves purple. The problem I am having is that the fabric unravels everytime I touch the edge of it and cutting it makes it worse. When sewing it the unraveling threads get caught in the seams. I have been snipping a lot to keep it ravel free. I have used batiks before from WM and JoAnn and have not had this problem to this degree. So is it the nature of batiks to do this or is it just poor quality fabric? I love batiks and would like to use them again. Thanks for your help.

Blog Entries
    I have never had cotton fabrics, especially batiks, unravel like that. I am not sure what to tell you :(

Gee, I have never had that problem...And another quilter who using strips of Batik to wrap around cord and makes baskets uses it because it does not unravel...I think it might be the quality...I'd tell the LQS maybe they will make good or at least give a discount on something else

Cyn
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by amma
    I have never had cotton fabrics, especially batiks, unravel like that. I am not sure what to tell you :(
    me either- perhaps you could ask the shop you bought it from? Maybe it came off a bad bolt.

Banned
    I would spray starch the edges or the entire piece before cutting. if it was just a few places I would recommend frachek but that would take too much. Does it happen as you cut or after it is cut. if after, then could brush with a weakened down starch solution.

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    If I had that problem I would take it back to the shop. That's a lot of money for the problems you're having.

I am in the midst of making two batik quilts, and have a number (oh yeah...!)of different types, from several different places. None of them ravels like you've described. I agree with Cyn, you should take it back to the LQS and ask them about it.
    Please let us know what you decide & do, it will help us all! Good luck!

Could the batik fabric be rayon instead of cotton? I have seen a few places selling rayon batiks and rayon can really fray. If the store won't do anything about your problem; or, if you love the fabric colours and really want to use it, my advice is starch, starch, starch. Also, if you can, make your seams a little more than 1/4". Possibly, you may have to zig-zag them if you plan to wash the quilt. Lastly, I would quilt the finished project very closely. Hope things work out.

The one fabric I could pretty much count on to NOT ravel are Batiks. I think you got a bad batch.

I use batiks all the time. It is my favorite, and I have never had it unravel or fray. I would bring it back.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast