Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Untrimmed Threads causing Injury to infants and Toddlers >

Untrimmed Threads causing Injury to infants and Toddlers

Untrimmed Threads causing Injury to infants and Toddlers

Old 08-25-2016, 02:51 AM

Default Untrimmed Threads causing Injury to infants and Toddlers

It has come to my attention and to several others that infants and toddlers are sustaining injuries as a result of untrimmed threads being left on the surface to the quilt top/ I spent three hours going pver s Log Cabin Quilt, making certain that all threads or possible ravelings would not present a danger infants or toddlers. If the threads are not trimmed very carefully, it is very easy for infants and toddlers to catch their feet/toes in the thread and tangle them so tightly that it causes increased pain, causing restrictions to the blood, which could cause severe pain and ultimately require ER Room treatment. I recently spent three hours going over s quit I had made, to make absolutely certain there were no trailing threads which might create a problem for children of our soldiers. Quilts must be gone over many times to protect our infants and toddlers from possible danger. Noone wants this to happen, so that is the reason no stone can be unturned to avoid. I went ovrt a quilt three times to clear an excess threads. It's worthwhile, so everyone please go over the quilts and make certain there are no threads left which could create dangers to our infants and toddlers.
Old 08-25-2016, 03:48 AM
Power Poster

I have always trimmed my threads using my duck bill Gingher scissor so I won't cut the quilt.
Old 08-25-2016, 04:19 AM
Power Poster

Leaving long threads on a quilt is not good quilt etiquette.
Old 08-25-2016, 05:10 AM

I don't get why there would be threads on a quilt top. The bottom I can understand, but the top?

edit

Never mind, I was thinking of quilt tops, not finished quilts.

Last edited by joe'smom; 08-25-2016 at 05:15 AM.
Old 08-25-2016, 05:52 AM
Power Poster

I got this tip from my neighbor. She uses a lint roller. If there is a thread missed the lint roller will pull the fabric up and immediately grab your attention so you can cut/trim. I also use the duckbill scissors.
Old 08-25-2016, 06:10 AM

I agree. I recently finished a log cabin queen sized quilt for a gift and had to go over it several times before sending to the long armer. I used a lint roller among other things. I also trimmed each block--all 96 of them--before adding to the quilt. I didn't want any threads caught in the seams. It took a long time, but was worth it in the long run. No tangled fingers or toes with this one.
Sue
Old 08-25-2016, 06:14 AM

I always trim my threads (top & bottom) as close as possible. I never understood why a person would put all that time into making a beautiful quilt & leave threads hanging out.
Old 08-25-2016, 06:37 AM
Power Poster

I do try to trim any loose threads, but they're not supposed to be there. But I have never heard or read of anyone actually being injured by untrimmed threads. Can anyone provide a link to a documented occurrence of this happening?
Old 08-25-2016, 07:20 AM

...and I would think a responsible parent would make sure there are no strangler threads to harm their child, if given or purchased a quilt, or anything for that matter...
Old 08-27-2016, 04:53 AM

Right Geri! The last thing I do with a finished quilt is bury knots and cut threads, oops, washing is last! No threads left to catch on anything. They look pretty messy if you don't clean them up .