Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Unusual Embellishment! >

Unusual Embellishment!

Unusual Embellishment!

Old 03-11-2012, 11:52 AM

Smile Unusual Embellishment!

A while back I made a quilt from my scrappy strips in fall colors. It resembles a Chinese Coin quilt. Yesterday I decided that it needed "something" to liven it up. I machine appliqued four flowers, some stems and some leaves on it. Now, this was done "after" the quilt was sandwiched, pinned, and ready to be quilted. I placed the appliques where I wanted them and sewed them in place. Two of the flowers got yo-yo centers. The largest flower got a circle center which I FMQ'd a spiral design in.....THEN I realized that there was a safety pin under the flower! How I ever machine quilted around the flower and around the center, and missed the pin I do not know. Today I took off the center, cut a little slit in the flower and removed the pin! Now I'm off to quilt the center back on!! Sometimes the things I do, amaze me!!
Old 03-11-2012, 11:53 AM

too funny!!!
Old 03-11-2012, 11:59 AM
Power Poster

very amusing. reminds of the time my DH put carpeting on the stair while i was at work. when i climbed the stairs, he'd left a screwdriver under the carpeting on one step
Old 03-11-2012, 12:05 PM
Power Poster

Think we all do things like this, no idea why but afterwards we can laugh about it.
Old 03-13-2012, 04:12 AM

I made several quilts for flood victims with panels of horses on them. On the last one my machine hit a safety pin I had left in the batting to mark the centre (and broke the needle). I had to unpick 2 borders and come in from one side to get the safety pin out. The funny thing was the position of the pin on the horse's anatomy -- I felt as if I was delivering a foal as I reached in to remove the pin!
Old 03-13-2012, 04:44 AM
Power Poster

I can't think of my many blunders but you all are giving me a laugh with yours!
Old 03-13-2012, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by psumom View Post
A while back I made a quilt from my scrappy strips in fall colors. It resembles a Chinese Coin quilt. Yesterday I decided that it needed "something" to liven it up. I machine appliqued four flowers, some stems and some leaves on it. Now, this was done "after" the quilt was sandwiched, pinned, and ready to be quilted. I placed the appliques where I wanted them and sewed them in place. Two of the flowers got yo-yo centers. The largest flower got a circle center which I FMQ'd a spiral design in.....THEN I realized that there was a safety pin under the flower! How I ever machine quilted around the flower and around the center, and missed the pin I do not know. Today I took off the center, cut a little slit in the flower and removed the pin! Now I'm off to quilt the center back on!! Sometimes the things I do, amaze me!!

I made a purse and carried it a couple months only to discover I'd left a straight pin inside. I pulled it as far out as I could and cut it with a wire cutter-----------------then thought the easiest way to have solved the problem would have been to crush the pin head with a pliers and free the wire section. @@

Live and learn!
Old 03-13-2012, 12:33 PM

Can we see your quilt?
Old 03-13-2012, 12:38 PM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

Yes, your quilt sounds like it is very pretty. I would love to see a picture of it, even if it isn't quilted yet.