Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Unusual Embellishment!

Smile Unusual Embellishment!

A while back I made a quilt from my scrappy strips in fall colors. It resembles a Chinese Coin quilt. Yesterday I decided that it needed "something" to liven it up. I machine appliqued four flowers, some stems and some leaves on it. Now, this was done "after" the quilt was sandwiched, pinned, and ready to be quilted. I placed the appliques where I wanted them and sewed them in place. Two of the flowers got yo-yo centers. The largest flower got a circle center which I FMQ'd a spiral design in.....THEN I realized that there was a safety pin under the flower! How I ever machine quilted around the flower and around the center, and missed the pin I do not know. Today I took off the center, cut a little slit in the flower and removed the pin! Now I'm off to quilt the center back on!! Sometimes the things I do, amaze me!!
    psumom

too funny!!!
    Linda

Blog Entries
    very amusing. reminds of the time my DH put carpeting on the stair while i was at work. when i climbed the stairs, he'd left a screwdriver under the carpeting on one step
    Nancy in western NY

Power Poster
    Think we all do things like this, no idea why but afterwards we can laugh about it.

I made several quilts for flood victims with panels of horses on them. On the last one my machine hit a safety pin I had left in the batting to mark the centre (and broke the needle). I had to unpick 2 borders and come in from one side to get the safety pin out. The funny thing was the position of the pin on the horse's anatomy -- I felt as if I was delivering a foal as I reached in to remove the pin!

Blog Entries
    I can't think of my many blunders but you all are giving me a laugh with yours!
    Joyce

Quote Originally Posted by psumom View Post
    A while back I made a quilt from my scrappy strips in fall colors. It resembles a Chinese Coin quilt. Yesterday I decided that it needed "something" to liven it up. I machine appliqued four flowers, some stems and some leaves on it. Now, this was done "after" the quilt was sandwiched, pinned, and ready to be quilted. I placed the appliques where I wanted them and sewed them in place. Two of the flowers got yo-yo centers. The largest flower got a circle center which I FMQ'd a spiral design in.....THEN I realized that there was a safety pin under the flower! How I ever machine quilted around the flower and around the center, and missed the pin I do not know. Today I took off the center, cut a little slit in the flower and removed the pin! Now I'm off to quilt the center back on!! Sometimes the things I do, amaze me!!

I made a purse and carried it a couple months only to discover I'd left a straight pin inside. I pulled it as far out as I could and cut it with a wire cutter-----------------then thought the easiest way to have solved the problem would have been to crush the pin head with a pliers and free the wire section. @@

Live and learn!
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

Can we see your quilt?

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    Yes, your quilt sounds like it is very pretty. I would love to see a picture of it, even if it isn't quilted yet.
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"