Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
UNwashed fabrics >

UNwashed fabrics

UNwashed fabrics

Old 12-17-2014, 07:10 PM

I was taught to prewash fabric to remove any chemicals and pesticides that might be in it. Most fabric is made overseas and must be treated with insecticide to be shipped into this country (also pertains to almost everything imported.) I'm not sensitive to chemicals the way some people are but I still don't want the chemicals on my hands.
Old 12-18-2014, 04:15 AM

I prewash all my fabrics (except small precuts which I typically do not use). I use cotton batting (W&N). I also wash my quilts when complete for a host of reasons. Get the wonderful crinkly look all the time. I, too, believe that you will get a more crinkled look with cotton vs poly batting. I don't think our quilting fabric alone generally shrinks enough to make a significant difference overall in creating that look. Batting, imo, is the major factor.
Old 12-18-2014, 09:08 AM

....all I'm going to say is I don't prewash...before or after.......
Old 12-18-2014, 10:06 AM

I don't think pre-washing fabric or not has to do with the crinkle. I think that's all in the batting. I haven't worked with polyester, but even my pre-washed Warm & Natural batting crinkled! You'll definitely get a crinkle with cotton batting.
Old 12-19-2014, 07:03 AM

different cottons shrink at different percents. This is one of the reasons I wash first. My main reason though is because this is how my dear Granny taught me, and she was an absolute expert.

I baste the short sides together on each cut of fabric, I don't use detergent, and put them through the rinse cycle once. Most shrinkage takes place in the hot dryer; the 'pounding' causes most of the shrinkage. Now I am confident that all the fabric has shrunk and won't pull away from the seams after it is all finished.
Old 12-19-2014, 09:55 AM

This is quite possibly the most disgusting thing I've ever heard! Some nasty slob wiping her sweaty self on someone else's merchandise? GROSS!!!
Old 12-19-2014, 10:02 AM

Each different cotton, and each different batting type will result in a quilt "blooming" in an individual manner. For me that is the part that is exciting, seeing how each quilt looks after its first "bath". As long as you quilt following the distance guidelines for your choice of batting, you will usually be happy with the results.
Old 12-19-2014, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
My reason for prewashing is not only for shrinkage but also for bleeding of fabric. If you think it won't bleed that will be the one that does. All that hard work and having to work even harder for bleeds. Another reason that I believe bears repeating (and I have seen it happen) is health and cleaning issues. I live in a warm area down by the Gulf. So it gets hot and humid and people sweat profusely. One day while shopping for fabric in a big box store a woman came from the outside and was perspiring like it had been raining. She walked up to some fabric, wiped her head and face and the back of her neck. Another woman brought it to a clerks attention. They got a security guard to usher her out. She had no intention of purchasing that fabric. The clerk with instructions from the manager took the bolt of fabric back to the cutting table and cut a good 1 1/2 yds off the bolt. There was dirt on the fabric. Disgusting! That is why (even if you can't see it) I prewash. Ever hear of imbetigo (often called infantigo) easily passed and highly contagious. And other infectious diseases. Call me a fanatic if you want but do you really want to pass it onto the person you're making it for. And yes I wash my hands after sorting laundry and handling soiled laundry.
True and not to mention, most fabrics are stored in foreign warehouses, for at least a period of time. Warehouses where rats or mice can live. I will always was first.
Old 12-19-2014, 11:12 AM

Has anyone else had this problem? I have always washed my fabric before using but love to play with it awhile and admire it before it goes into the wash. Lately however after handling it my hands have turned red and started itching and burn. One of the women that cuts fabric where I buy a lot of fabric told me she had to go to the emergency room after unpacking a order of new fabric with blisters all over her palms. Now I am wondering if they are putting something new in fabric or am I just starting to react to something that has not bothered me before. So, just wondering if anyone else is having the same problem.
Old 12-19-2014, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by crafty pat View Post
Has anyone else had this problem? I have always washed my fabric before using but love to play with it awhile and admire it before it goes into the wash. Lately however after handling it my hands have turned red and started itching and burn. One of the women that cuts fabric where I buy a lot of fabric told me she had to go to the emergency room after unpacking a order of new fabric with blisters all over her palms. Now I am wondering if they are putting something new in fabric or am I just starting to react to something that has not bothered me before. So, just wondering if anyone else is having the same problem.
I have to wear vinyl gloves to handle new fabric because the new finishes really aggravate my hands and cause severe exzema outbreaks. I have also used a think coating of baby cream before and after and washing my hands after sewing has helped a lot.