Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: update & pics on Help, I need some encouragement

I ask for help 10 days ago and you all came through. So I'm asking for suggestions now. I measured this lap quilt and it is 51" square. Is that going to be big enough for an 8 year old, or should I add some more border to make it 55" or even 60"? And I've been thinking about the color fabric for binding..... what do you all think about black to kind of finish it all off?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

You could take some of the fabric you used in the butterflies and make it into a rail for the outside border.
    Cut the rails 2.5 wide and length of around 8" or what you think, I can't really judge the size.

I think it adds color and interest to the quilt. I also have varied the width.

Beautiful quilt! Enjoy.

I agree with Suez, the rails would bring color into it. For an 8 year old girl, I think I'd choose one of the brighter colors for the backing. It's very pretty!

I agree. I think one of the colors in the butterflies for an outside border would add color.

I would put a larger border to make it larger and bind it with black. A larger quilt would enable her to use it much longer. Just my opinion.

I like black for the binding. As for the size, what is she going to use it for? A cuddle quilt? A bed quilt? How tall is she? Great job IMHO.

Blog Entries
    Ii had this problem and made a top and bottom border of 8" blocks out of leftovers from the quilt. This got rid of the square so DGD knew where the top and bottom were. Then I put a 3" border around the entire quilt, black would be good here as they sometimes have grubby hands no matter how hard we try and this at least makes them not so glaring. Then the binding, always dark for kids as the chew on it, suck on it, twiddle it, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by suezquilts
    You could take some of the fabric you used in the butterflies and make it into a rail for the outside border.
    Cut the rails 2.5 wide and length of around 8" or what you think, I can't really judge the size.

I think it adds color and interest to the quilt. I also have varied the width.

Beautiful quilt! Enjoy.
    I love this idea!

Very nice, and I would make it a little larger with piano keys out of your bright colours and then black binding to frame it.

Love the butterflies!!!! Beautiful quilt.
    Was this a butterfly pattern or did you make it up?
    Would love to have the patern for this quilt.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast