Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

Thread: Used HQ Sweet 16

Pictures would be nice. How do you change the bobbin with the machine oriented like a domestic?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by strad View Post
    The Sweet 16 Yahoo group has a huge amount of information on all aspects of using this machine. I have found it extremely helpful.
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/HQ_Sit_down_Model/
    Thanks for the link, strad.
    Wendy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JENNR8R View Post
    Pictures would be nice. How do you change the bobbin with the machine oriented like a domestic?
    I'll take some pics over the weekend for you.
    Wendy

I bought a used HQ16 almost 3 years ago. It works wonderfully. I've had some 'not so fun' days with it, but it usually turns out that the problem is ME, not the machine.

Mine is paired with a pcquilter and a frame, so I do not do free motion quilting.

Ask about the maintenance of the machine before you purchase it. Like I said, I've had no problems with my HQ16, but it was well maintained before I got it.

The person I bought it from was upgrading to an HQ Avante - which made me feel good about the reputation of the company and the HQ16. I figured she wouldn't upgrade to another HQ machine if the HQ16 was a lemon!

In my area they sell for around $4,000.00 new with waranty, table, bobbin winder etc. Hope this helps you decide if the price is good. Either way you will love it.

That's an awesome price - you did great! New they are more than double that. I would have gotten it for that price. I ended up buying a Tin Lizzie sit down for a few different reasons but for $2k, I would have bought the Sweet 16. I think you'd like it better than the Bailey to be honest with you.. and yes, you can convert it to frame use if you want to.

Quote Originally Posted by JENNR8R View Post
    This is an older version that I think can be converted to a standup machine if the handles and a frame were purchased. The Sweet 16 has a different light and the touch screen on the front (and I'm sure other whistles and bells). This one has the screen on the side at the back... not a very convenient location when you want the needle to go back up or to change the speed.

I'm not sure what all is different. All I know is that I would have had to send out alot of quilts to a longarmer to break even in spending another $3,200 for a new Sweet 16.
    Thanks Jennr8r for the reply and details. I've been following this and similar threads as part of my education process for my next machine. You had me confused, and now I understand the differences ... and what to watch for and more questions to ask as I continue my learning curve towards decision day!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Blog Entries
    I do soooo agree with Tashana. In a perfect world local support would be there. But a good supporting manufacturer is much more important. I recently replaced my 2 yr. old LA because it was defective and my local dealer acknowledged this but the manufacturer would not fix it. One of the board members has a pending court case against that company and they still have not fixed her machine. Bailey's has a wonderful reputation.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4