Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Used HQ Sweet 16 >

Used HQ Sweet 16

Used HQ Sweet 16

Old 10-11-2012, 04:35 AM

Default Used HQ Sweet 16

I saw an ad for a 2006 HQ Sweet 16 for $2,000. I've heard only good things about this machine, but I've never tried one out.

What questions should I ask about it?

Do you think I could learn how to use it easily? (I haven't been able to figure out how to use the buttonhole or zipper feet on my Bernina even with the manual!

Is this a good price?
Old 10-11-2012, 04:54 AM

Button hole and zipper foot are a whole different beasts. I have been sewing for 30+ years and those attachments are still on the ignore pile. I do not have a long arm but since you are a quilter I have no doubt that you will be able to master it. Sure, there will be moments of cursing and chocolate binging but in the end it will become as easy as using your DSM. Go try it, ask why they are selling it, ask for servicing records and play with it a little bit. I am hoping to get one next year but with the economy tanking it may just be a pipe dream. Good luck!
Old 10-11-2012, 05:06 AM
Power Poster

I think the key thing to ask would be why they were getting rid of it. I don't own a longarm so I can't offer any other advice.
Old 10-11-2012, 05:26 AM
Power Poster

ITA ... why are they getting rid of it?

Separate from who is selling it, I'd do my own research and find out if there is anyone local who will service it and provide support as I get to know it. Perhaps even the ability to receive paid lessons on the machine.

I hesitate on used for most anything (not just sewing machines) .. dealers tend not to want to give that extra customer service and support that IMHO are vital. Plus often the servicing is second in line behind machines they have sold. Add to that, there's no guarantee/warranty to fall back on, if things go wrong.

You didn't mention whether this was a private sale or a retailer selling it as used, which could make a difference. If a dealer, will they give you a guarantee period, to show they are standing behind what they are selling.
Old 10-11-2012, 05:46 AM

Do note you will probably still need to purchase the frame and lights etc. Find out how much more is needed to make this machine head functional.
Old 10-11-2012, 05:57 AM

I think it is the sit down model of HQ I would love one but can't justify the money these days. Good price though.
It was easy to use at the shows and it would save your domestic machine for just piecing as your do all quilting on these type of machines now actual sewing
Old 10-11-2012, 06:03 AM

I bought my HQ16 used and have had no problems. When I had it serviced I took it to my local sewing machine center, not HQ, and they were able to adjust and clean it. It is just like our domestic machines, except larger.

that sounds like a good price.
Old 10-11-2012, 06:58 AM

I forgot to mention that you can get a brand new Bailey's 17" for a few hundred dollars more without the frame. They have amazing customer service, and it is backed by Bailey's 25 year warranty on mechanical parts. Take a good look at them at www.baileyssewingcenter.com
Right now they have a special on demo/classroom machines that have been used as little as 10 hours. They are made in the US and they are a family business. Good luck!
Old 10-11-2012, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by Lori S View Post
Do note you will probably still need to purchase the frame and lights etc. Find out how much more is needed to make this machine head functional.
The handiquilter sweet 16 is a sit down machine. It is usually sold with a table, but if it doesn't come with one in the used deal, it can go on any table (it just works nicer if it is flush).

The handiquilter 16 is a different machine meant to go on a frame.

I sewed on the sweet 16 this weekend at the quilt show, and it handled nicely, but was WAY too fast. Even at 50% speed, I felt rushed. I guess I could have tried slowing it down even more... The stitches were beautiful, I did not like the stitch regulator (which is an additional purchase and can be added on) too jerky. I'd consider the machine if I ever wanted more space, but my domestic does fine.
Old 10-11-2012, 07:31 AM

I bought a used HQ 16 (slightly older model than the Sweet 16) about a year ago and just LOVE it for large quilts! I have it set up as a "sit-down" and it works great!

As others have said, I'd ask why they are selling it. I think there are lots of good reasons; for instance, the lady I bought from had decided she really wanted to focus her work on small-ish art quilts and didn't need the 16" throat space the HQ 16 offers. I went to her studio to try out the HQ 16 and saw a lot of her work, so I knew that was true.

Be sure to try it out before buy. I did, and was happy with how it performed. Since I'm using it as a sit-down model, it worked very similarly to my DSM, but had much more throat space, and the transition to using it was fairly easy for me. The first thing I did when I got it home was a queen size quilt for my daughter-in-law for Christmas - http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...d-t164909.html . I did a couple of practice feathers and then started right in on the quilt!

Here's my posting about how I set it up as a sit-down model using an existing table in my studio, (not the special Sweet 16 table): http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...e-t165016.html

There were a couple of factors that made me particularly comfortable with purchasing this machine from a Craigslist ad. The first, and most important was that it had originally been purchased from our LQS/Sewing machine shop and had been serviced by them while the original owner had it. The second was that I was able to try it out and felt comfortable with it.

I don't know if you are interested in the new stitch regulator that HQ offers for sit-down HQ 16s, but if you are be sure its compatible with this model. I got to try out the stitch regulator at a quilt expo just a couple of weeks ago in Tucson, and didn't particularly care for it myself. I think it does an OK job, but I've been practicing my FMQ so much that I'm more comfortable with FMQ when I can manually control the stitch speed. One really nice feature that the HQ 16s have is that you can set the maximum stitches per minute at whatever level you are comfortable with for the piece you are working on. I usually start at about 60% or so and adjust from there if I want to.

This machine is relatively easy to use, not nearly as complicated as your Bernina button hole foot! (I have one too, and still have to read the directions for it if it's been awhile since I've used it.) With the Sweet 16 you have an on/off switch, a maximum speed setting, and a foot pedal, and away you go! Threading is essentially just like your DMS, and you have a tension dial for the upper thread, and a screw on the bobbin case, again just like your DSM.

Feel free to PM me if you have additional questions. I'm a happy HQ 16 sit-down owner!

I even tried out some really nice LA machines at the quilt expo, but decided I am quite happly with this setup and not inclined to go bigger at this point.

The price sounds good on this machine, and if it comes with the table, the price is fantastic! Try it out, and see what you think--you'll know if it "speaks to you" or not!

Last edited by azwendyg; 10-11-2012 at 07:43 AM.