Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
used machines, seller says "bought and never used it"???? >

used machines, seller says "bought and never used it"????

used machines, seller says "bought and never used it"????

Old 06-23-2014, 03:03 AM

I have a friend whose father bought her a $10,000.00 machine. Her husband bought her two of the same calibre, plus two sergers and she has been given two other second hand high end machines. They all sit in the cupboard...
Old 06-23-2014, 03:44 AM

There are many reasons why people buy things and then change their minds.

First, when I decided a few yrs ago that I wanted an emb machine I searched eBay until I found the Viking #1 and got it for 600, which included all attachments and a 2 yr warranty. I got it and was so excited, it kept breaking the thread. At first I thought it was the pressure plate because it had lots of nicks, the seller sent me a new one, that didn't fix it. So he paid for me to send it back to him for repair. In the mean time at my LQS, one of the workers bought a Viking Ruby, used it 7 hrs and decided she wanted the newest one that had came out. I got such a deal on her "used" machine that I got it. By the time I got the #1 back from being serviced I never used it because of the Ruby, which I traded in for an equally great deal a yr later for the latest model. So now, eventually I'll get around to selling my #1, which has been serviced and has all orginal attachments plus a few extra.

Then a few months ago I was in the same LQS and they had just moved and found a few machines that had been demos and forgotten about for sale. One of them was their next to latest serger, Huskylock 21, the price was cheaper than a cheap on at Walmarts, I couldn't believe it. I'd been wanting one so I got it. A month later I was at a serger event to learn some new things and fell in love with the latest Ovation by Brother. Knowing that I can sell the Huskylock easily for the price I paid I got the Ovation and have already in the first month taken 2 classes on it. Both my emb machine and my serger will be well used and I'll sell my other two that are great machines, the serger has full warranty on it. It's not that I have a lot of money, definitely not but I got great deals and I've kept my promise to my self and I use them both alot.

If you find a machine, then go and try them out. Some times those lines, never used or barely used are true for simple good reasons.
Old 06-23-2014, 03:44 AM

Originally Posted by just_the_scraps_m'am View Post
not sure why it's so hard to believe! people have money to buy it & they do! i'm amazed at all the fabric people buy with good intentions and NEVER USE that either! ?
Yes, quilters collect supplies, fabric and ..... Sewing machines. I'm trying to break those habits. :-)
Old 06-23-2014, 04:05 AM

I bought a Babylock sewing/embroidery machine on E-bay for about half it's selling price. The lady thought she could do commercial embroidery as a business and bought two of them. When she found out they were not what she wanted after all, she tried to return them to the seller who refused to take them back. She sent me the one that had never been unpacked. All extra feet and attachments were still in sealed plastic bags and the machine was still in a sealed carton packed from the company. Apparently she did not do any real search to find out what those machines were meant to do. Mine is a wonderful machine and I use it nearly every day. There are bargains to be found, but be careful.
Old 06-23-2014, 04:07 AM

Originally Posted by IQuiltnFL View Post
Yes, quilters collect supplies, fabric and ..... Sewing machines. I'm trying to break those habits. :-)
I fell into this one too. I have a feather weight, great condition, from Scotland. I had intended on converting it over and then when I found its history I wanted to leave it as an orginal and get a converter, which I never did. I also bought a few other old machines, one missing the knee lift (didn't realize until I got it home but it was cheap) so I wasn't too upset since I only paid 30 for it. I bought a treadle, which my grandson loves even though he hasn't used it. I think its the whole thing about things not running on electricity or batteries. He was amazed one night while watching Little House on the Prarie to find out how people used to live. That became his favorite show, he stayed up all night long watching an all night marathon for that show, he was about 5 then. He knows this will be his one day, plus I have a couple of old ones in cases, none of them I use. I've thought about selling some of them especially the FW, but we'll see. If not my kids will when I'm gone.

On the other hand, a few yrs ago I decided to put up shelves and get all of my fabric out of the totes so I could see it. I was amazed at how much I had so now I rarely buy fabric until I check it all out. I'm spending lots less on fabric since I can see what I have plus its a constant reminder that I have lots of it since its out in the open.
Old 06-23-2014, 04:09 AM

I had not one, but TWO friends who have purchased expensive embroidery machines, only to let them sit in the boxes for MONTHS before even opening them! They said they were just to busy to get to them. Well, I would have called off work, hidden at home and played, before letting a new machine sit in a box, but that's just me.. But it's not a leap to see how a purchased machine could remain unused and then just given up. It happens.
Old 06-23-2014, 04:45 AM

I was looking for a machine for my daughter. I saw a HV in CL for a crazy low price. It wasn't an expensive machine but it was worth more than the advertised price. I contacted the person droves to Baltimore to try it. He was moving to japan and needed to get rid of stuff quickly. It sewed perfectly and he gave me all his notions too! She still has or years. Not as good an exp on ebay. Craigslist is local so you can usually try it. Got a used elna for my GD - owners husband surprised her with a new one. It sewed perfectly! I've never had a bad experience on CL fortunately.
Old 06-23-2014, 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by jitkaau View Post
I have a friend whose father bought her a $10,000.00 machine. Her husband bought her two of the same calibre, plus two sergers and she has been given two other second hand high end machines. They all sit in the cupboard...

Does her dad want to adopt me?? Lol
Old 06-23-2014, 05:04 AM

I have been sewing all my life, since I was a kid. My Mother was a Home Ec teacher, so she taught that a garment should look as good on the inside as the outside, so that was my goal. After I married and had three daughters, I tried to get them to learn to sew, and none of them were interested. Now that they are older and have children, they are trying to teach themselves how to sew, so I've been collecting older machines to give to each one of them. One of my daughters whose husband is in the military told me yesterday that she wants an embroidery machine. She lives in SC, so if any of you know where there might be some used machines that she could check on, let me know. Being military, she can't pay an arm and a leg for a machine.
Old 06-23-2014, 05:17 AM

Quick note on this - almost all brand machines the warranty is for the Original Purchaser ONLY, warranty does not transfer. I know this is the case on Berninas and believe probably the rest of the brands.

I am not saying that is not a reason to buy but if a deal is too good you might really want to have the machine checked out first and at least take that into consideration.