Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Useful Time saver >

Useful Time saver

Useful Time saver

Old 09-18-2014, 07:57 AM

Default Useful Time saver

I have purchased an Avery Dennison Micro Stitch and it is worth every penny I paid for it. It is a time saver and very easy to use instead of pins and basting for quilting. I purchased mine from Amazon. It has a very fine plastic tack fastener similar to those used to fasten price tags on clothes but is very short and fine so no hole is left. You can pin up a quilt in 1/4 of the time and sewing is so easy as the fasteners are small and easy to place so they do not have to be removed as you sew like you often have to with pins. Yes it is expensive but the time saved and the ease of use is worth every penny. I have paid more for other tools that I have not used very much. This I use!
Here is the address for Amazon. If it doesn't work just put Avery-Dennison Micro Stitch in the search box and it will come up. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do if you buy one!
http://www.amazon.com/Avery-Dennison...n+Micro+Stitch
Old 09-18-2014, 08:00 AM

Used to use it before spray basting came along. I like it too except when having to find all the little "thingies" to remove after! Enjoy!
Old 09-18-2014, 08:29 AM

I got 1 from Walmart before getting my mid-arm. I never use it anymore. I should try to sell it huh?
Old 09-18-2014, 10:02 AM

I have had one for years and love it as it is easier on the hands than pinning. Also use it to mark paper pieces with yardage and attaching to fabric lengths so I know how much fabric there is. When prewashing and ironing fabric and I find a fabric flaw, I use it to attach a small piece of paper to that area to alert me so it doesn't get into the project.
Old 09-19-2014, 04:33 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Carrie View Post
I have had one for years and love it as it is easier on the hands than pinning. Also use it to mark paper pieces with yardage and attaching to fabric lengths so I know how much fabric there is. When prewashing and ironing fabric and I find a fabric flaw, I use it to attach a small piece of paper to that area to alert me so it doesn't get into the project.
Another reason to wash and iron before cutting. I usually iron from the back - it's easier to see the grain lines and slabs, etc. are easier to spot. I also mark - with a small safety pin on the selvage - when a fabric has a flaw in it.
Old 09-19-2014, 05:02 AM
Power Poster

It worked great but I did snip my quilt one time cutting the ties out. Like the other poster, I don't use it anymore since I baste now with Elmers's School glue.
Old 09-19-2014, 05:24 AM

I have one that I haven't used for years. Guess, I should dig it out and reconsider it for use.
Old 09-19-2014, 11:29 AM

I bought that exact item and it was horrible. I returned it. I am one of the people that gave it a 1-star review, in fact.

I don't know if mine was defective or what, but it didn't work at all. I couldn't get it to tag correctly and it finally jammed up completely and broke inside. And I used to work retail and use one of those all the time so I had a pretty good idea of what I was doing! No matter what I tried, it just jammed and jammed and jammed. It was extremely frustrating.

I've thought about buying another at a local shop to see if I had better luck, but I got so frustrated with the first one I haven't tried again. I think I'll just stick with Elmer's.
Old 09-20-2014, 03:52 AM

I have the old kind, the one that makes an enormous hole in your fabric. They do work well to secure your layers and I am thinking that the new type you are describing would be ever so much better for not making excavations in your fabric.
Old 09-20-2014, 04:40 AM

I have the older one, like it, will see if I can find the new version. I use a drop ceiling grid under sandwich before I use the gadget...raised it so I could go straight down and join those layers...just my way......