Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Users of Brother InnovisVQ3000 or similar machine >

Users of Brother InnovisVQ3000 or similar machine

Users of Brother InnovisVQ3000 or similar machine

Old 01-16-2017, 04:28 AM

Default Users of Brother InnovisVQ3000 or similar machine

I just got my machine two weeks ago, so there is lots of practicing to be done. But I seem to be having a hard time finding my sweet spot for my 1/4 inch. Would you share with me which foot you use, and where you place the needle on your machine? Do you use the laser light, and where do you put the line? Do you use any other seam guides? Just looking to see what works best for others. Thanks for your input!!
Old 01-16-2017, 04:59 AM
KR

I had a Brother QC1000 and now the VQ3000. On both machines the 1/4" foot that comes with it stitches out at 5/16". There's only so far you can move the needle before it runs into the foot, so my solution was to purchase an "after-market" foot. I believe it was a generic but I bought it at the same dealer where I purchased the machines.

Laser....I mainly use it as a stitch guide for sewing binding strips together. For me it's not accurate enough to use as a real stitching guide.

Good luck....hope you'll love your VQ as much as I love mine!
Old 01-16-2017, 05:47 AM
Power Poster

I have a different brand machine, but with the same issue. The quarter inch foot isn't really a quarter inch. The thing that you have to remember is it's a moving target. Different fabric/thread combinations may result in your seam being off one way or the other. The biggest thing to remember is that you don't measure the seam, you measure the resultant patch. Here's a way to check:

http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...ce-t89997.html

Start with your quarter inch foot and move your needle until you are happy. Count the number of 'clicks' when you move your needle & write down that number!
Old 01-16-2017, 08:13 AM

I've had my VQ3000 for several years and really enjoy it.

For 1/4" piecing, I use the J foot, one of the centered straight stitches, and align the edges of the fabric just at the right edge of the plastic window in the foot.

I also set the laser at 8.5, as a rough guide to help make sure the fabric is coming in straight.
Old 01-16-2017, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by KR View Post
I had a Brother QC1000 and now the VQ3000. On both machines the 1/4" foot that comes with it stitches out at 5/16". There's only so far you can move the needle before it runs into the foot, so my solution was to purchase an "after-market" foot. I believe it was a generic but I bought it at the same dealer where I purchased the machines.

Laser....I mainly use it as a stitch guide for sewing binding strips together. For me it's not accurate enough to use as a real stitching guide.

Good luck....hope you'll love your VQ as much as I love mine!
I have never had any issues with the brother 1/4 inch foot on any of my machines and I had the babylock version of the QC-1000. I even tested it with the perkins tool and my 1/4 was fine on all my machines. I can tell you that the 1/4 inch attachment for the muvit foot is awesome if you don't already have it
Old 01-16-2017, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by Penster View Post
I just got my machine two weeks ago, so there is lots of practicing to be done. But I seem to be having a hard time finding my sweet spot for my 1/4 inch. Would you share with me which foot you use, and where you place the needle on your machine? Do you use the laser light, and where do you put the line? Do you use any other seam guides? Just looking to see what works best for others. Thanks for your input!!
Brother SA125 or SA205 mostly, once in a while I will use babylock BLSO-QGF, but ever since I got my 205 I use that foot alot
Old 01-16-2017, 11:46 PM
Gay

I just use the normal sewing foot with my Brothers. If you can move the needle to the right a couple of clicks ( mine sits on 2.0, and 2.5 for a scant 1/4" ) the edge of the fabric goes to the inside of the foot.

On paper you should rule two lines 1/4" apart, and use one as the fabric edge to set the needle. Do some tests on fabric, also with specific size squares, so you get an idea of how much the thread can reduce your finished pieces, HSTs for instance.

I tried drawing it so hope you can see the placement.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]565921[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails .jpg  
Old 01-17-2017, 02:33 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl View Post
... I can tell you that the 1/4 inch attachment for the muvit foot is awesome if you don't already have it
I second that. It's fabulous! To hit the "sweet spot" using the Muvit 1/4" foot just pick the centered straight stitch and then go two needle clicks to the right.

It also makes attaching binding a breeze. I leave the needle in the default centered position and sew the binding to the back. When I flip the binding to the front, I move the needle as far to the left as it will go. That drops it in the perfect spot for stitching the binding down.