Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: uses for old knit/t-shirt material sheets?

Before I throw these out, I thought I'd check with you ladies to see if you have any ideas on how I might be able to use this material. I have no experience sewing "stretchy" material, but thought I'd defer to you guys first.

I hear the way to use t shirts it to put something behind it to stabalize it......I want to try it.

Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week! and very cold this very minute!
    you can always use some stabalizer on the stretchy fabric. tames it! then cut it up and sew happy

What about as a thin batting material?

Blog Entries
    Give to Goodwill or cut the sheets up for rags :)

If you have any need for baby gifts - a very easy and practical gift is making sheets for the crib or pack-n-play. T-shirts wouldn't be much help there, but I recently bought used jersey knit sheets from Goodwill and turned them into baby sheets for gifts. And you don't need to have a serger to do it.

I just used up the backing from t-shirts to make dog beds. The fronts were used in a t-shirt quilt and I have a hard time throwing anything fabric away. I put two together, stitched around 3 sides, filled it with small scraps (no thread) and serged up the sides. My small quilt group helped me last meeting and we made 15 beds. Everything from the outside to the stuffing were things that were destined for the garbage. My local shelter loves them. The only thing they request is no reused dog beds. If another dog has slept on it, they don't want it.(I bet they get shredded! My dogs would do that! lolol)

Power Poster
    If you would like to make rugs, there are instructions on the web for crocheted T-shirt rugs. They use the actual t-shirts but the sheets would work too. Keep them for putting down for the over spray when spray basting a quilt sandwich? Would they work to cover a design wall?

Hmmm "batting" for utility quilts? I know my DD makes rag rugs and she would make good use of them or just about anything. We even bought her an old, heavy, 4 harness floor loom that DH fixed and cleaned for her.

Banned
    I'm not a "lady" as ask for suggestions, but in my opinion the aggrivation and frustration of working with knit fabric is not worth the effort. If you back the fabri then that is additional expense. The crib sheets is probably the most practical suggestion.