Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Using a bed sheet for backing >

Using a bed sheet for backing

Using a bed sheet for backing

Old 03-21-2010, 06:42 PM

I buy sheets at the thrift stores. You can usually find different colors and sizes and they are cheap! They are also very soft. You should unfold them and check for quality before you take them to the register. I have a large dresser just for storing all the sheets that I have accumulated. Penni
Old 03-21-2010, 07:01 PM

I have used sheets and the last one I got was at Walmart in Oregon to make my granddaughter's quilt. It was 120 thread count and we tied it.

I think if you get 100% cotton and not a high thread count, they're fine to use. My grandmother always used sheets, never knew her to use anything else, and all her quilts were tied or hand quilted.
Old 03-21-2010, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by Up North
I hand quilt and use the 200 count main stay sheets from Walmart. These are not hard to hand quilt through and I have not seen any holes. I have sheets from over 30 years ago that are still in decent shape so I think fabric is fabric If it works use it. I like solid backs and love using them as they are all one piece and you can get them big enough for king size quilts.
I too hand quilted on "sheet" backed quilts. I found it to be no worse than any other material. I think you should try it, and if you like it, continue. I have used several types of material, and if I want an all one piece back, I generally use a sheet.
Old 03-21-2010, 09:17 PM

I always use sheets would do it no other way and have had no problem with them at all. I also go to Thrift stores and buy them
and store them in Big Plastic Bins, I'm one for saving every penny I can , I figure the pioneer's had it right and there's are still around today and doing great, so if it worked for them why rock the boat now, when this is why we are carrying on the fine art of Quilting to pass it on as they did for use. :D
Old 03-22-2010, 05:16 AM

I never do, always try to buy the extra width backing
Old 03-22-2010, 05:30 AM

I also use sheets and haven't had a problem. I haven't used those with a high thread count (higher than 250) however, so I'm sure the advice to not use them would pertain to anything higher than that. I've hand-stitched and machine quilted them with no issues.
They're great to use because they're a standard size for whatever size quilt you're working on!
Old 03-22-2010, 07:02 AM

I too am on disability an can't spend big money on my quilts.
You might know soon as i started quilting Wall Mart stopped sailing anything I need. My grandmother made all her quilts out of all old close. Her quilts or still going after being used for yrs.
Old 03-22-2010, 07:19 AM

i always use 200 thread count ones and never had a problem i did some hand quilting and i had no problems
Old 03-22-2010, 11:28 AM

If I need a matching color I use dye(not Rit).
What kind of dye do you use and where do you find it?
Old 03-22-2010, 11:54 AM

I started using the 100% cotton sheets from Target last year for the backing and some for the fronts (I use alot of white or cream color).
I machine quilt on my Juki and have had no probems.
I love the way they feel after being washed. Like Grandma's old quilts. Very soft! :D
Works great with my Warm & Natural batting. Soooooo soft.
We all love them. ;)
Target has all colors of the 100% cotton. I wait for the sales and stock up.