Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Using Blue Jeans for quilts

I cut the leg pieces in unform widths and as long as knee wear etc will allow. I sort them in to 6,9,10 inch widths and make a length strip by just overlapping them and zigzag or other decorative stitch. Add strips to each side as you do out. This method reduces the heaviness of joining the strips. Then put on batting if desired and backing, woven or flannel, and sew vertically down the strips and across if you wish. Our grand kids love them and constantly call dibs on the first one which is backed with red and white checked polyester-cotton fabric.

I cut the leg pieces in unform widths and as long as knee wear etc will allow. I sort them in to 6,9,10 inch widths and make a length strip by just overlapping them and zigzag or other decorative stitch. Add strips to each side as you do out. This method reduces the heaviness of joining the strips. Then put on batting if desired and backing, woven or flannel, and sew vertically down the strips and across if you wish. Our grand kids love them and constantly call dibs on the first one which is backed with red and white checked polyester-cotton fabric.

So very cute!

I make denium quilts for clients and for gifts. Itry to get important dates or things like do they play football or golf etc. I either embroider these or use bright colored markers and really personalize the qulits for them. I use denim for th back too. It can shed sand, stickers or whatever it is laid on, and washes well. Aneokle

I use mostly the legs, but if the pocket area is in good shape, I will include it in a quilt too. And to add something new and different, I will also cut a good section of the seam area for some texture.

Blog Entries
    I also made a rag quilt with blue jeans and included pockets in some of the squares. It is made with homespun on the front and denim on the back

sept97 : that is a lovely quilt. Is it all jeans? did you use batting ? what backing material did you use?

Yes, I always use the legs and sometimes pockets which I put a matchbox car in (not sewn in). I pair with flannel or red bandana fabrics, My grandkids love them and being made from their Daddy's jeans makes them even more special, they seem to be the ones used the most.

Blog Entries
    I have a whole tub to cut up for rag quilts. I'm excited . jUst haven't had the time to get to it yet.

thank you cmilton it's all old jeans just cut into squares, no batting needed as it's heavy enough without it and I used fleece for the backing.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast