Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Using cotton broadcloth as a backing...

never again! I can't get creases out of it after washing (even on gentle cycle). This is my first time using broadcloth and I don't want to spray starch 'cause I want it to get softer. Help?

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Oh no!
    I used cotton broadcloth for a backing and had no problems.
    Did you sandwich it yet???
    My finished quilt is really nice.

I use it all the time for backings with never any problems...and I never use starch on any fabrics, just steam and a spritz of water when I iron it. Which broadcloth did you use?

thanks for your replies...so I have another...what do you do when there is not enough space on the floor to sandwich it? Is there a secret anyone can share? thnx again

Quote Originally Posted by eightylady
    thanks for your replies...so I have another...what do you do when there is not enough space on the floor to sandwich it? Is there a secret anyone can share? thnx again
    I take my larger items to the local library. They let me use their conference room that has 4 huge tables I can push together. There is no charge if you just show up, but if you want to reserve the space, then they charge.

Quote Originally Posted by eightylady
    My floor isn't very big either, that and I have two dogs and a cat that can't seem to say off it. And, I am much to old for crawling around on the floor. I cleared a wall in my sewing room, bought two sheets of 1 inch think insulation board and I hang my quilt on that to layer it. I am quilting a quilt now that I sandwiched on that wall and it works great. It is a large quilt so I had to use a step stool to reach the top but it worked great. Check out utube for a tut.

Fantastic!!! Thanks