Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Using designer fabric

Using designer fabric

Hi everyone.
    Please can someone tell me if there is a rule about making something with designer fabric and then selling the finished item. I seem to remember something mentioned on the QB that said this was ok to do as long as you did not advertise the designer. So I could make a bag with say Cath Kidston fabric and sell it, as long as I did not say it was a Cath Kidston bag? is this right?

I do not know the rules but hope some one does answer. Would be great to know how fabric is copyrighted, or not.
    Linda

there is a difference between (designer fabrics) and licensed fabrics...
    licensed fabrics (like disney, nfl, college fabrics) you have to get permission to use for anything you want to sell-
    pretty much all of the fabrics we buy for quilting are (designer fabrics) can be used- and it is nice to give the fabric designer credit when a recognizable amount is used---you can not call your item a (jenny beyer tote) unless it is---but you can say made with jenny beyer fabrics-it is the design that is copyright protected- which is why you can not say it is a jenny beyer tote- unless it is one of the totes she designed---then you would need her permission to sell it....that is using a design.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy