Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Using elmers glue to baste applique and bind quilts >

Using elmers glue to baste applique and bind quilts

Using elmers glue to baste applique and bind quilts

Old 04-14-2013, 08:11 PM

Default Using elmers glue to baste applique and bind quilts

Hi, I just read a post about using the school glue to baste a quilt. I have not done this basting technique yet. A little scared, but do want to try. However, I remember a very nice carpenter who always asked my daughter for the the empty applicator bottle from hairdye. He was right, these bottles have a very small hole and good point. Thus they work just great for many things us quilters use school glue for when quilting. Just a bit of glue comes out and for tiny applique pieces that is just what I want. I want just a bit when binding too. Just make sure you clean all of the hairdye out very, very well.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:46 PM

You can also use Elmers washable Glue Sticks, they are great for appliques since you do not need much & it far less messy.
Old 04-14-2013, 09:16 PM

As long as you keep the tip of the Elmer's glue bottle on the fabric, and apply light pressure to the bottle, you will get a nice thin line of glue. The trick is keeping the tip on the fabric. I've gone through 1.5 bottles of glue on my current project, and no glue has seeped through. Remember, "a dot is a lot."
Old 04-14-2013, 11:17 PM

I have tried. What did I do wrong. I put the glue in a washing up bottle to give an easy thin flow . I dribbled the glues ina thin line placed piece on top and then pushed to spread out glue. I got big blobs and the glue came through the fabric. I have purchased a large bottle of elders and was fleeced it cost for delivery to UK £70 . I have got to get this right.
Old 04-15-2013, 02:58 AM
Power Poster

thanks for this great 'tip'... no pun intended
Old 04-15-2013, 03:02 AM

I have been using the glue with applique, it is good, the odd time yes I might have more on there than is necessary. I press the applique between two sheets of parchment paper, as it would get on everything. Works well.
Old 04-15-2013, 03:46 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by DOTTYMO View Post
I have tried. What did I do wrong. I put the glue in a washing up bottle to give an easy thin flow . I dribbled the glues ina thin line placed piece on top and then pushed to spread out glue. I got big blobs and the glue came through the fabric. I have purchased a large bottle of elders and was fleeced it cost for delivery to UK £70 . I have got to get this right.
Oh gosh, sorry to hear that. I've used the glue numerous times, haven't had that issue. The only thing I can think of is even a thinner line, or just use tiny dots of the glue as close together as you would put a pin. Maybe a bottle with even a thinner "dribble"? good luck with it.
Old 04-15-2013, 06:25 AM

Dottymo: I had that problem on one of my quilts, but it didn't affect my quilting, and after I washed the quilt it was fine. You and I both need to remember "less is more".
Old 04-15-2013, 06:49 AM
Power Poster

I put the batting down first and put thin squiggles of glue on the batting. I put the backing, right side up, on the batting and smooth. Let dry and turn it over and do the same thing with the quilt top. Let dry and then quilt.
Old 04-15-2013, 07:04 AM
Power Poster

Great tip, thank you!!!!